Chapter 15

The crowed came to a horrible realization.  The Boy Wonder must be dead.  While there had been some sobs earlier, now they were multiplied as the crowed wept as one.  He was their hero.  He was only a boy, a good and noble boy who cared and used his gifts to protect people.  He’d come there that day to protect them and now he was gone.  The crowed was so overwhelmed with grief they didn’t notice three teenagers with their hoods pulled up slipping past them.  Spencer and Miranda didn’t take note of the trio until one of them knelt with them and took Bobby’s hand. 

“Oh Bobby, I’m so sorry,” Jenna sniffled. 

“H-how do you know him?” Spencer asked and took note of her companions.  One of the hooded boys had his hand over his eyes, the other let his tears fall freely, his green eyes full of rage.  Suddenly it dawned on him, he knew these people.  He hadn’t met them but they’d been in Bobby’s dreams and Bobby had always shared his dreams.  “You’re the Wardens?”

“Yes,” Jenna nodded.  “We came to help but we were too late.”

Spencer wrapped his arms around Bobby.  It was awkward in that position but he had to do it.  He had to hold Bobby one last time.  He buried his face against his neck and sobbed. 

“Fuck!” Jason swore, angry at the world and what it had done to his friend.  Jeremy sobbed quietly. 

Then something strange began to happen.  As Spencer held Bobby he began to think about their lives together, about the love they shared.  They were powerful memories that brought out powerful emotions and as it happened, Jenna saw Bobby’s chest rise and fall. 

“What the…” she started.

“What?” Spencer looked up at her with tears in his eyes. 

“How did that happen?”

“They were beating him. I think they broke his back and…” Spencer began. 

“No, I mean, I just saw his chest rise and fall.  What were you doing?”

“Me? I was just thinking about him.  About how much he means to me,” Spencer broke into fresh sobs. 

“Don’t stop,” said Jenna, excitedly as she took one of Spencer’s hands.  “Jason, take my hand, Jeremy, take Jason’s and Spencer’s.”

“What’s going on?” asked Spencer.  He and the Wardens were gathered around Bobby holding hands now.  Jenna answered him with her mind. 

“Everyone, think about your strongest memories of Bobby.  Every time he made you laugh, every special moment you shared, all of it, now,” Jenna ordered. 

Spencer did as he was told.  He thought about the moment he first realized the naked boy he found in the woods was his long lost friend.  He thought about how Bobby had taken a shotgun blast to the chest just to save him from those bank robbers.  Jason thought about how Bobby had saved his life when he’d been knocked from the sky by a missile over British Columbia.  Jeremy remembered how the blond boy had been the first of their team to fly and how he’d helped him learn to do it.  Jenna remembered the first boy she’d ever kissed.  She’d always had a crush on Jason, she knew she loved him.  Kissing Bobby had been nothing more than childish experimentation but he wasn’t like other boys.  He didn’t run and tell his friends, he was sweet and kind and kept her secret. 

Jenna looked down and saw the bruises fading from Bobby’s skin.  His chest slowly rose and fell. 

“Don’t stop,” said Jenna.  “Concentrate, concentrate as hard as you can.”

The boys redoubled their efforts.  They concentrated with all their might until they heard a weak cough.  When they looked down, Bobby’s eyes were open.  He coughed again and sat up slowly, the bruises were gone and the broken bones were healed.