6-3 (A)

How long had it been since she sat down at a family dinner?

And why did it feel so right when she did so at the Jackson household? The four of them were sitting around the square dining table, she next to Percy while his parents sat across from them. Poseidon had cooked a great big feast and it was absolutely mouthwatering.

The familial bond the three of them shared was unlike anything she'd seen before. They were so fluid and easy going, working so well together in a way that was easy to discern with just one meeting. Her own parents could learn a thing or three from them. Just now, they were all laughing at a joke Poseidon made, eating and drinking together like this was a weekly ordeal.

And if it grew to be, Annabeth couldn't say that she'd mind terribly.

Their laughter and joy began anew when Percy and Poseidon went into the kitchen and brought out a huge cake, a blossom of ripe blueberries and cream swirling above a cloudy base. Julius was barking and bounding along with them happily. There were five candles on top, one for each decade Sally had been alive.

Percy had told her that he and his dad had originally wanted to put 50 as a prank, but that might not have been well received. Not to mention it would ruin the cake.

Men.

Sally threw a fond smile at her boys. "I'm surprised you two havent't burnt the house down lighting those candles."

"Have some faith, dear mother," Percy chided, setting the cake down in front of her. "We're not that incompetent."

"Yes, I'm sure," she joked.

"'Nuff talk," Poseidon said, dragging Percy to the other side of the table so all three of them could look at Sally. "It's time to sing our praises to the birthday girl."

"Oh, please—it's not necessary—"

Poseidon ignored her protests and smirked at Annabeth. "Every year, she does this. You'd think she'd be used to it by now."

Annabeth giggled. Light and laughter could be found so easily in this house. Sally looked somewhat flustered for the first bit of the song, but smiled happily soon enough as Percy threw his arm around his dad's shoulders and they swayed side to side, singing exaggeratedly like the pirates they were.

"—happy birthday to you!" They all finished. But Percy seemed to have other ideas as he flared his hands. "Are you one, are you two, are you—"

"Don't make me come over there," Sally warned sternly, but was clearly fighting the urge to laugh. It won out. "Still a child after all these years."

"Always."

Poseidon moved around the table and set his hands atop Sally's shoulders. "Go on and cut the cake, love."

Annabeth smiled softly when Sally laid her hand on top of Poseidon's for a moment before picking up the knife. When she removed a slice from the cake, it revealed the chocolate interior. Her mouth salivated at the sight. She and Percy's mother seemed to share a favorite flavor. Sally had excellent taste.

Her heart nearly imploded when Poseidon took a spoon and fed Sally a bite.

"Ah, Poseidon! Goodness!" Sally shrieked in laughter when her husband rubbed some whipped cream on her nose. Sally stood and moved to get him back, play fighting like children before feeding him a spoon. The two shared another laugh that was cut short when Poseidon kissed her.

One glance at Percy told her spades of his happiness. His eyes were shining as he looked over at his parents having fun. Sally called him over, feeding her son a spoonful as well before he did the same with both parents. Annabeth smiled at them. They were a gorgeous family.

She almost felt like she was part of it herself—

"Beth, get over here," Percy called while still chewing, not giving her time to say anything before she tasted chocolate. Her eyes went cross, looking at him with half surprise and half amusement as she removed the spoon. "Good, right?"

"So good," she agreed, swallowing. Was it tradition for them to feed each other, or something? Well, then who was she to go against it? Percy laughed around the bite of cake when she fed him. "You have to tell me where you bought this cake."

"Oh," Percy murmured, looking away and scratching his cheek. "I got it from—"

Poseidon interrupted them and clapped his son's shoulder. "Don't lie to her, son. Percy here made this beauty."

"What?" Annabeth asked in surprise, delighting in his embarrassed expression. "No way. You can bake?"

"He sure can," Sally chimed in proudly. "Taught him myself."

"I helped!" Poseidon protested.

"You ate," she deadpanned, rolling her eyes when her husband made an indignant sound. "It was a good thing you did though. Some of Percy's first creations were, well, not good, to say the least. Rather you be the guinea pig than me."

"I was like fifteen," Percy pouted. "Leave me alone."

Annabeth laughed. "Character development. Look how much you've improved, Perce." She eagerly took the slice Sally lifted for her and took another bite. "This is the best cake I've ever had."

"Glad you like it."

"I've always wanted to get good at baking. You'll have to teach me one day."

Percy beamed. "You got it."

The excitement simmered a bit as they sat around the table once more, drinking wine and eating cake. Annabeth glanced down when no one was looking and rubbed her belly. God, she had so much to eat today. MyFitnessPal would not be happy with her. But it was oh so worth it. That evil little ballerina gymnast would just have to deal.

She eased back in her chair and her eyes swept down to her knee, jean clad and very comfortably pressed against Percy's. It struck her as somewhat odd how close they'd grown. And unfortunately, she wasn't the only one who had that line of thought.

"So, Annabeth," Sally started. "Percy tells me you two are in a competition at work."

Annabeth smiled as Percy sighed. "Yes, we are," she answered. "Our boss decided to hold it to see who'll get the next big project for our firm. Percy here is under the delusion that it'll be him."

"You're mixing it up," Percy said with a smirk.

She shot him one of her own. "Am I?"

"You are indeed."

Somehow they both just knew not to bring up the whole getting fired thing. That was a private discussion best left for another day. Definitely not a birthday type of conversation.

Sally looked between them with amusement. "Well, good luck to whichever one of you gets it."

"Thank you, Mrs. Jackson."

"I told you to call me, Sally, dear," she said. "But I have to ask, isn't the competition a bit awkward? What with you two dating, I figure it might be."