Chapter 2 Irritation

After that one faithful encounter that I had last night, I barely managed to sleep because of the anxiety eating me up whenever I closed my eyes. I still can't believe that I met him. And I can't believe that I dug my claws into the arms of the next Alpha even though it was to save him.

I rolled in my bed and coved my head with the sheets to shield myself from the blinding sun. I don't even know what to do anymore. I still haven't told my mother about what happened last night because I was afraid of what might happen.

"Lunaris!" My mother suddenly yelled along with the loud burst of the door.

I tensed up in my bed before carefully turning to face her. Her thick black brows were furrowed together as she placed her hands on her hips. Her long black hair - like mine - swayed like a river as she drew closer to me. I winced and immediately sat on my bed. "Do you have any plans on going to school or not? You're going to be late!"

I pulled my knees to my chest and looked away. "Can't I just take the day off? I am not feeling so well."

My mother, Alicia Arrington, was the sister of a once fierce warrior of the pack named Gwen Arrington. They were twins, and although they were sisters, their hobbies were different. My mother doesn't like fighting at all and isn't even interested in anything besides cooking. On the other hand, my aunt Gwen loves combat and has a great physique and stamina that could rival any male werewolf.

My mother told me that I resemble my aunt a lot, and that is why she doesn't want me to become a warrior for the pack. It's because my aunt died at a young age in one of the battles against the invaders.

I haven't seen one of them, but I was told that they are dangerous creatures. One bite from them can melt your skin. But that was all in the past. With my secret, I doubt that I can join the warriors anyway. The dream of mine died the night I shifted.

My mother placed the back of her hand over my forehead. "You don't seem to have any sort of fever." She says. "You can't call in sick."

"But I am not emotionally doing so well. Can't that be a factor?" I pleaded with her with my eyes and smile.

"No." She glowered at me. "Stop being lazy and hurry up and go to school!"

The intensity of her voice made my animal instincts hunch and cower. Since my spirit animal is naturally a cat, I tend to get scared quickly. I tripped over my sheets and fell on the floor in my haste to get to the bathroom.

With my mother's attitude, I guess there was no way that I would be sitting this one out. I have to go to school, and I don't think that any sort of pleading would work on her.

I hurriedly changed for school and stuffed my textbooks into my bag. I ate at such a sluggish speed while eating breakfast that my mother became enraged and threatened to kick me out of the house. I couldn't even finish my food since she was staring at me the entire time.

I swear, I could just picture out her werewolf form as she glowered at me. "Lunaris!"

"Alright! Alright! I'm done eating." My chest burned as soon as I swallowed the whole sandwich. I grabbed my bag and headed out of the door as fast as I could.

"Lunaris, wait!" My mother grabbed my hand just before I ran out of the door. "Go to your Aunt Sylphy later and have your pendant enchanted again. It's almost a month."

My hands flew to the red gem hanging on a silver chain around my neck. It was a magical tool that kept me alive as it covered my scent of being... unique among the pack.

I nodded. "Alright."

If I hadn't called for them as I ran, I would have just missed the school bus. Running immediately after eating did so many things to my stomach that I felt like puking. Fortunately, I was able to secure the bus.