Chapter II

I knocked a couple of times on the door and hearing no answer, decided to come in, hoping that I've made the right decision.

I found my sister lying on the bed starring at the ceiling, with her long wavy hair falling freely down her neck and over her face, almost as if she was trying to hide from me.

"Helen, it's me." It came out as a slight whisper, but I was sure she had heard me.

"I know. What do you want?" Her words were spoken in a bitter tone, but the trembling of her voice still gave her out.

"I am just...worried about you. Sister, what's wrong?" I asked her feeling uneasy looking at her weak appearance. She covered her face with her hand, trying to hide tears that were threatening to roll down her cheeks.

"Would you like to tell me what happened?"

She ignored my question and kept weeping with her small hands steadily placed over her face.

My uncertainty about this strange moment and insecurity of what was I supposed to do, and this sight of Helen, this sight of 'her' who was always so strong, made me ask her once more. "Helen, are you sure you don't want to talk to me?"

"I would like to be left alone, leave please." Sound of her voice was filled with hatred, so unlike in comparison with her broken expression. Her pride - I knew, kept her from fully embarrassing herself.

Even though I had a need to help her and leaving her just like this made my heart full of grief, I knew that it would be better not to bother her anymore. She would soon come to her senses. That's why I quietly left her room.

It was strange how twins were so similar, but yet so different. They did look alike, but they were not the same.

At first, when they were little, they did act like siblings.

I guess that after some time, Marrie just became more interested in things that were considered to be only a waste of time by Helen. Marrie, as the one who often used to drift into her own world of books, enjoying in the moments when she was able to discover new things and different ideas, was always the one with the more 'adult like' way of thinking. Helen, on the other hand, believed in a free way of living without obligations and I could also say that she was floating through life without any real sense of duty.

I decided to go into my room and rest for a while, because if my parents were to notice that I strained myself when they strictly said that I shouldn't I would be in trouble.

My room consisted mostly of carved wooden bedroom furniture pieces; including small nightstand with beautiful detailing, chest of drawers, french rococo dressing table with mirror and hand made bed with headboard without extravagant hand carved details, but with its simplicity it better fit to this whole design.

There was also a large bookcase, small sized lounge chair and simple tabouret near the bed.

Accents of soft colours, like palest pink and creamy yellow, almost beige throughout the room, made this room airy and open and this was one of my favourite places inside this house, beside the garden and the field near the forest.

I didn't bother with taking of my dress and just lay down on the bed.

After only a couple of minutes I fell asleep.

***

When I woke up, I could clearly see that it was already evening. I quickly fixed myself up and went downstairs.

On the way downstairs, I asked the maid if my parents had already arrived.

"They had just arrived only a couple of minutes ago or so." She seemed confused for some reason. "I have to prepare the beds, now if you'll excuse me." She left in a hurry, making me wonder what was wrong.