Chapter VI

It was hard to convince my father to talk to me. He had been avoiding me for a few days already, making quite absurd excuses, like having unavoidable nap times or how he had to read some kind of 'important' documents when all I could see laying underneath a few sheets of paper on his desk were novels about detectives and crime. 

But in the end, when I firmly grabbed his arm and told him how I was ready to accept his proposal, he gave in. The only thing that bothered him were my words after I reassured him that I'll accept.

 „But I have a few conditions.“

He nodded quietly in response, visibly worried about my demand.

„We'll discuss it later on, I have an important appointment.“, he said without giving me a second glance and closed the door of his study room.

I was about to go to my room, when suddenly a loud knock echoed trough the room. Our servant immediately opened the door and shifted nervously as soon as she saw the guest, preventing me to see a person who stood at the doorway. The only think I could make out was a sunburned blond hair belonging to someone who obviously towered over her little frame.

"Miss, Mr. Elr..uh Elroy has arrived.“, she muttered the words and self-consciously brushed off a few strands of hair that stuck to her face.

"Mademoiselle, to whom may I thank for this unexpected welcome?" the eldest son of the Elroy family walked up to me, flashing me with one of his genuine smiles.

I starred at his face for a moment, dazzled by the sight and yet at the same time confused at how much he had changed.

The well known sincere smile was familiar, so were the rest of his features, but still, in front of me stood a young man so much in contrast with the boy I've met a few years ago.

"Forgive me for saying this, but I had actually no idea you were coming.", I admitted shamefully.

He laughed at my sincerity. "Oh, well. Please forget about what I just said earlier then, even though I do admit that I feel a tad bit of disappointment."

Did I just unknowingly offend him?

"Sir, I didn't mean it like that, I was...", but he just gently patted my shoulder to stop me from further explanations.

"Just drop the sir already, no one is around." He smiled again, remembering something.

"Now, how long has it been? Three years?", his light eyes gazed at me curiously.

"Three and a half, si..I mean William.", I corrected myself.

"I still remember the day when those younger sisters of yours pushed me into that ice cold lake. They were quite tricksy then, weren't they? Of course, you weren't of much help either as you just innocently laughed at my drenched appearance. I was shivering for a few days after that.  Memorable experience indeed."

I laughed when he trembled at the thought.

"It was your own fault, you were the one who was constantly teasing us. Calling us old ladies and such, it was rude.", I defended.

He smiled tenderly. "Well, you can't blame me. I was surrounded by a bunch of tall ladies so I felt jealous"

"Well, you sure caught up.", I replied sincerely. For a boy who had been barely past my nose he certainly did grow.

Three and a half years ago, our families agreed that we would all spend a week together in one of Elroy's vacant houses. It was supposed to be the time for parents to relax, enjoy the scenery and inevitably gossip about other families, while for us kids, it was an opportunity to play and laze around. We all knew they expected of us girls to bond with the boys, since none of us really had the opportunity to meet with Elroys as much as our parents. We all knew our parents were acquainted before any of us were born and that they had friendly relations even back in the days when they just moved here. Our fathers would usually meet to have those boring business talks and of course unavoidable policy discussions, while our mothers frequently went shopping and talked about the latest fashion trends, new designer dresses or hats they saw in the shop windows.