10. Byron

TW: PANIC ATTACK

"I'm so sorry we haven't gotten to talk more." I say, squeezing their hands.

"It's my fault. We mostly talked in the dorm, and after I moved out-"

"It's not your fault, Char. We just need to get better at seeing each other, okay?"

"Okay." They smile. "I have so much to tell you."

We're at a coffee shop, finally getting together to catch up with each other. They could smell Jake all over me when I got here, but dropped it when I changed the subject. They tell me about their partners, Harper and Jason, and how they finally said I love you.

"Hasn't it been, like, three months?"

"Well, yeah, but I really love them, By."

I shrug. "If that's how you feel, I'm happy for you."

Their face breaks out into a grin. "Thanks. Now tell me why the fuck you're covered in Jake's scent."

I groan, dragging a hand over my face. "It's nothing. We're just fucking occasionally. Occasionally."

"Uh-huh. Making out in a ticket booth just screams occasionally."

"That was different. He got me a job there, and we had nothing to do."

"Sure. How often do you see him?"

I don't answer, then sigh. "Too often. He has my favorite drinks in his fridge, Charlie. I like what we're doing, but I don't want this to get serious."

"Would it be so bad to find someone to love?" They ask gently. "If he's good for you-"

"He won't be." I interrupt them. "Something will happen, and it'll be over."

"By-"

"Can we talk about something else?"

They sigh. "Okay. Jordan's birthday is coming up-"

"Wait, who's Jordan?"

"My boyfriend?"

"Ohhh. I thought his name was Jason. Okay, keep going."

"So, I wanted to give him a...physical gift."

"Like, sex?"

"Yeah. But not...not from me or Harper. I told her my idea, and she liked it. I'd need Kaden to help with it."

"Kaden? Oh, would it include his side job?"

Kaden works with a group of people that can be hired as strippers. They do different things, and Charlie explains to me what they were thinking.

"Let me ask him. I'm sure he'll love that." I pull out my phone to send him a text.

"Oh, and Jordan's gonna have a small party, and since he doesn't have a lot of friends, Harper said she's inviting Jake, and you can come if you want to."

"Sure, when is it?"

"Tomorrow night, the start of his 'birthday weekend.' His birthday's on Sunday, and he wants three days of celebration. You'll come?"

"Yeah, if you want me to. Does Jackson have any hot friends?"

"Jordan, and I don't know. Aren't you dating Jake?"

"We aren't dating." I say. "I fucked his co-worker the other day."

"By!" They exclaim.

I wave a hand. "He was there, too, it was his idea. We came up with rules for this, we can sleep with other people."