~ Chapter 29 ~

Laura Thompson's POV
(Beginning of May, 2024)

So far, this morning has not been going smooth.

At all.

I woke up in such an outright panic that I nearly fell out of bed, narrowly smacking my face off the nightstand.

Getting dressed was a complete chore itself - almost reminding me of my constantly bleary eyed state back in Hawthorne all that time ago.

From there on out, after I quite literally nearly locked myself out of my room by almost forgetting my lanyard, things had slowed down a bit.

My mind is just frazzled beyond immeasurable proportions.

Why would they have even bothered to come all this way... just to scold me in person?!

They literally wasted time and money to accomplish belittling their own daughter.

Scoffing to myself, it takes me a few moments to realize what exactly is in my grasp, a sudden burning sensation tingling in my hand.

"Oh geez," I grumble, jumping in surprise as hot coffee pours over the side of the mug, beginning to burn my hand.

Quickly setting the mug and coffee pot aside, I dash over to the sink, running my quickly reddening fingers beneath the cold water.

"Someone's a mess today," A familiarly teasing tone sounds from the entrance to the shared kitchen, an instantly recognizable head of curly hair gaining my attention.

"It would certainly appear that way," I chuckle dryly, grabbing a nearby tea towel to clean up my mess before setting it aside. "What are you doing up so early?"

It is early indeed, earlier than anyone is usually up.

So to see Mark standing in front of me with my own two eyes is quite perplexing.

"I just am," He shrugs, grabbing his own mug and pouring himself a cup of coffee, emphasizing his caution mockingly. "Do we have anything on our agenda today? Or are we just laying low after last night's outing?"

It hadn't even dawned me that today was our one day off before our launch preparations truly began - carrying with it a trace of excitement and chaos.

"Hopefully laying low," I chuckle, setting aside the mug I'd been holding previously, not bothering with the beverage anymore. "Because frankly, I'm exhausted."

"But yet you're up?"

"Yeah. I am."

Wandering into the Common room and flopping down against the plush couch cushions, I sigh, gaze wandering the bleak ceiling above.

The hum of the air conditioner, Mark's rustling through the pantry somewhere behind me... and something else...

Frowning, I blink a few times, confusion pricking my thoughts.

Surely it's not...

"I see I'm not the only one who found themselves wide awake this morning," A familiarly warm tone sounds from the entrance of the large room, an inward grin tugging at my lips as I haul myself to a sitting position to face the newcomer.

"That would seem to be the case."

Elon passes me a small smile on his way towards the kitchen, the clack of a mug against the countertop meeting my senses moments later.

"Any plans for today, Boss?" Mark hollers, hopping over the back of the couch and landing beside me, earning a disapproving glance.

"What?" He shrugs, flashing me a grin. "I didn't want to go around."