19

They stared at me, but I had nothing else to offer. Just because I was a woman didn't mean I knew how to heal hurts and dress wounds! They should be thankful I could cook as well as I could!

"Surely you men have seen worse cases than this! You have had to live in lands without a doctor within a hundred miles. What do you suggest?"

"Without alcohol I'm at a loss, ma'am," Gable frowned. "I can patch holes, but he's broke on the inside."

Limping slowly around the room, I racked my brain for something to suggest. What if this man died? Would they want revenge? I could only imagine they would. What could I do?

I turned and looked at Miller, pressing my lips together; studying him as though the distance would help. Then I frowned and looked again. What was that? Moving slowly back to where he lay, I handed the rifle to Gable and grabbed Miller's hand pulling it into the light.

The skin was mottled red and purple, the flesh rough and bumpy, like dry, cracked paper. A thick almost rash-like abrasion went up his arm almost the elbow. I looked sharply at Gable.

"Was it like this before?"

He looked closely at the hand then shook his head.

"No ma'am, it was red around the hand a bit, but we figured it was 'cause of the fight."

I almost laughed with relief. I knew what to do!

"Jae, run and fetch me some fresh snow, several handfuls. Gable, scrounge around and see if you can find any baking soda, I need at least a fourth of a cup. You," I pointed to a third man. "Please see if you can get some oatmeal into some warm water and bring it over, quick!"

They instantly moved to do as I asked while the last man held back.

"What is it ma'am?"

"It's an allergy, he's reacting to something that he ran into outside. It probably just pricked his skin, or maybe he got the juices of the broken plant on his hand, I'm not sure. If the reaction is strong enough, people can die. My little sister Bess was allergic to bee stings, only we didn't know it until she got stung. Luckily Pa knew what to do. It's not the same thing here, but I'm hoping it's close enough."

I had Jae strip off Miller's socks and pack the snow around his feet, drawing the heat from his body. Not having as much baking soda as I had hoped, I sprinkled it liberally over Miller's upper arm. Once the rash was covered, I wrapped it loosely with a strip of torn sheet. Miller's hand and upper wrist I dipped into the oatmeal bath and left it there. Asking Jae to keep a sharp eye on Miller's toes, I reminded them of the risk of frostbite. Now, all we could do was wait.

~~~

"You have a good deal of grit ma'am," Gable took my offered hand, shaking it solemnly. "I'd hate to be the one who crosses you on a bad day."

"You flatter me." My smile was friendly.

The group had been with me for almost six days, the time it had taken Miller to be well enough to ride. His body had been beaten worse than we'd thought. Three days passed before he could even get out of bed. Today they were headed out. He looked sullen, and had been quiet since waking up.

I did not try to persuade them from going, as Ranse was also up and around. I wanted no more trouble. So smiling up at the good-natured man who held my hand, I shook his hand firmly.

"It's been an adventure, Mister Gable, but you are welcome back anytime." I put the emphasis on 'you', without drawing undue attention to it. Coughing softly told me he noticed.

"Good day, ma'am, sorry we can't leave nothin' behind for you. If'n I'm in the area and can spare some, I'll leave a passel of grub for you."

"Safe travels, good-bye,"