Chapter 5: Ella

The next day was interesting, to say the least. Of course, I had class and everything, but most of all, I was focused on getting Professor Helen to help get me into the gala. After our private session that day was done and I was about to leave, I finally asked.

"Hey, professor?"

"Hmm?" she said, looking up from packing her teaching bag.

"About the Elite Program Gala next week," my palms began to sweat, "I want to get to know more about Acropolis and blend in better and I was thinking the gala would be a good way to do that. Could you get me in?"

She stared at me with squinting violet eyes, "I sense you have ulterior motives..."

My heart jumped out of my chest. My adrenaline spiked so high it gave me a headache.

"But I also sense they're noble ones," she finished, "So I suppose I can let you be my plus one. Just don't let the school board know a teacher is taking a student in and everything should be fine."

I relaxed and a smile crept onto my face, "Thank you so much! This is going to be a great opportunity."

I practically bounced out of the doors, down the elevator, and onto the tram.

I honestly don't remember the days leading up to the gala. My brain was filled to the brim with the new things I was learning and the anticipation of what would be my first superhero mission ever.

Finally, on the afternoon of the gala, everyone gathered around the door of Coda and De's bedroom to see their finished dresses and suits.

The only things I had told Coda when she asked what I wanted in a dress were that I wanted it to be green and I wanted it to be simple. Something safe that I could store a pen in, but would still blend in with everyone else.

"Ok," Coda finally said, emerging from the room and handing each person a black garment bag, "Go put these on and come back here so I can explain their features and do some last-minute alterations."

I took my bag and went off to my room. Upon unzipping the bag, I revealed the most gorgeous green dress anyone had ever seen. Apparently, Coda's definition of simple was a lot different than mine.

The dress had several layers of gorgeous deep green tulle and an emerald bodice with a low neckline and beading covering the top. To finish everything off, the thin green straps were also beaded.

I put it on and instantly stared in wonder at myself. I had never gone to a school dance, as I never had the money or the friends to go with, so I never had a good opportunity to dress up. Who would have thought my first time in a floor-length gown would be at a secret government gala?

I slipped on the heels Safiya was letting me borrow and made my way out to Coda's room.

"Magnifique!" She said, "Let me adjust it a little in the back and it'll be perfect."

I stood there while she laced the back until she finally turned me around, and said, "Oh, I almost forgot! You have to wear leggings underneath, so that way you can have a place to store a pen or notebook. And the entire skirt snaps off the bodice in case we need to fight or something."

"Coda, you really thought of everything!" I exclaimed, "You're the best!"

I gave her a hug, which she took rather reluctantly, and made my way out of the room. Standing outside were Safiya and Quillion, who already had their dresses and suits made and tailored.

Safiya looked like a princess in her pink off-the-shoulder dress, her black hair down and cascading over her shoulders. Quillion almost matched her dress with a black tie with pink stripes on it. Apparently, Coda was trying to play matchmaker.