📝Chapter Six: No Memories But These (Alexander's POV)

Monday, February 21, 1927. Georgetown, New York

Alex took a seat on another prop chair, and leaned forward, eager despite himself to hear what this crazy girl had to say. Her story had to be an interesting one, though he wasn't sure how much of it could be believed. Alexander had always liked a good story. 

The young woman Beth took a deep breath and started to speak. "One of the nurses, Betsy, found me by the side of the road. There were tire tracks all around, and it had recently snowed." Her speech was slow and quiet, but there was none of the awkward pauses that would make him think she was lying. Rather it seemed that she was just nervous to tell this story. 

"It was getting dark, and the wind was blowing heavily, so at first they thought I'd die from hypothermia if I survived the head injury," Beth continued, her gaze sharpening slightly from the glassy look that had so concerned Aaron before.

"But I lived through both. The first thing I remember is the sound of rain against a windowpane, then the feeling of sheets. I opened my eyes and saw two terrifying nurses whispering overhead. "Call the child Bethany," one of them said, and then, "Give the child a hat," That was when Martha arrived and told them to stop scaring me," She smiled slightly at this. 

"So you don't remember anything before that?" Aaron queried, and Beth shook her head, a lock of dark hair falling into her face as she did so. 

"It makes sense," Alex nodded. "Traumatic head injury can cause total amnesia," As can childhood trauma, he thought but didn't say. That was to be reserved for when they were sure she was to be their Elizabeth actress. Or she could just be crazy, Alex wasn't totally ready to let that possibility go either. 

"So what happened next?" John pressed the girl. "Not that you have to tell us. I'm just curious how you came to be in Albany chasing a dream about Philadelphia. It's a unique predicament."

"No, it's fine," Beth smiled softly at him. It was a sweet smile, with no hint of romantic interest in it.  Alex could picture her easily as a mother, giving that same smile to her children-and where had that thought come from? He didn't give overly much though to women in general, and when he did it was romantic or sexual fantasies, not pictures of domesticity. Why did Beth of all people press that button in his mind? I'm probably just getting older, Alex thought, shrugging the moment off and returning his attention to Beth and her tale. 

"That was in 1917," She explained, beginning again to tell her story. "They raised me for nine years in the hospital, and would have let me stay as long as I wanted, but when I turned 18 by our best guess, I decided it was time for me to follow my dreams," She paused and laughed softly. 

"Literally. I've been having dreams for years about a woman standing on a bridge telling me to meet her in Philadelphia, so that's where I'm going. I was kind of an idiot about the money they gave me and before long I was traveling on back roads and sleeping in the woods. Taking what I needed and working when I could."

"Hey, that rhymes," John broke in, and Aaron glared sharply at him. 

"Go on Beth."

She glanced over at Alex for some reason, and he also nodded at her. He had been right, this was interesting. You didn't meet many girls with what they believed were prophetic dreams in Albany. That's one point in the she's crazy book, he thought, though he'd already accumulated more than a handful of points for the other. 

Beth shrugged awkwardly. "I don't really have much else to say. It all seems so foolish, I know. But at least when I'm asleep there's a light at the end of the hall..." The unfocused look slid back onto her face, and her speech slowed down again. The speech thing could be faked, but the look-she would have to be an actress. Seemingly unaware of the change, Beth continued. "I dream of a city beyond all compare. There's a beautiful river and a bridge by a square, and somehow I know it's Philadelphia."

And she snapped back to reality, suddenly somber. "I know you've had hard lives, everyone has, but you don't know what it's like to not know who you are. I have to have something to keep me going, and so I know it seems crazy, but I still believe in the truth of my dreams."

Once again, Beth hesitated. "Sorry, I didn't overshare, did I? It's just that you asked, and I've never had anyone to listen before."

Yes, Alex answered mentally, but out loud he found himself saying. "No, you're fine. I get it. I probably acted the same when I first found my friends."

"You did," Aaron quipped, then did a bad imitation of Alexander. "Oh Count Burr, sir! Mister Laurens! Listen to my tragic backstory. I've never had a group of friends before! I promise that I'll make you two proud."

"Shut up," Alex grumbled. "And I've never seriously called you guys Count Burr and Mister Laurens."

There was a moment of silence before Aaron gave Alex a look that said, so?

Alex nodded slightly at him. He still wasn't convinced she wasn't crazy, but she could be useful. This Beth had the right look to be princess Elizabeth, and with no memories of her past, she could be a convincing candidate even if she didn't know everything. She claimed to be a hard worker, and he could only hope that meant she was a quick study as well, because they wouldn't have much time to pull this off. Agreed, they turned to John with questioning looks. 

"Ok," He said, standing and clapping his hands. "Hey Beth, you want to come back to our place? We think we can help you, and all the equipment is there. 

"Oh!" She bounced up, face aglow with delight. "Thank you so much! Lead the way!"

This, Alex thought, following them out the theater doors into the backstage area, is going to be an adventure