Grammys

My performance was memorable. I had been sure to warm up my vocals much more than I usually did, so that I sounded as sharp and effortless as possible at the Grammys. Although I may have sounded effortless, singing is anything but effortless. The stomach muscles, the technique to shift to head voice, the uncanny control over each and every note. It's difficult to hear the skill and effort that goes into each note, though it is very easy to hear when a note is off, when a singer makes an error.

Wooden Soul had been a favourite of the year, and so everybody knew the lyrics quite well. I could see some of my favourite artists mouthing along with my lyrics, which only powered the strong smile already beaming on my face as I performed. I moved around the stage. My dress dazzled and gleamed like the botanical gardens in the moonlight. I couldn't help but smile as I sang the lyric, "and the night was cold, but his soul was colder, his lies as deep as the roots of the forest." I winked as I sang this lyric to the camera. Nobody would understand this. This heart-wrenching, tone of betrayal lyric, why would she wink? Though James Dale would understand. James Dale would remember those weeks in late November, when he would jump from a corner and scare me with those exact words.

My performance ended and I was back in the audience, clapping and cheering along at the different awards. There was Best New Artist of the year – Mary Hawkins – a 17-year-old with a fantastic rock album debut. Best Instrumental Composition. Best Arrangement, Instrumental and Vocals. Best Orchestral Performance. And of course, all the pop awards. James Dale won Best Pop Solo Performance and Best Pop Vocal Album, both for his work on The Waves. In truth, nobody seemed very surprised once I was announced the winner of Best Alternative Music Album of the year for To Love in the Woods. It was my second album to earn the title. I received polite applause as I walked to the stage, giving my acceptance speech and thanking everybody, especially the fans for their support.

The Big Four were given throughout the night. Record of the Year was given to an extremely talented Reggae artist from Los Angeles. I held my breath for Song of the Year, everybody in my team holding hands on our little table, silently praying that we got it. And the award goes to...

I could barely hear my own song playing from the speakers in the stadium as my team erupted in screams of applause and cheering. My heart was beating a thousand times a minute, as I grasped onto my teams' hands, barely believing they had just called my name. I had only received this award once before, for my last album The Classic Chronicles. I felt light-headed as I reached the stage. I gave my acceptance speech. Then I was off.

Album of the Year. I waited with bated breath, holding onto everybody on my table, as we waited for the announcement. My team seemed to melt in dejectedness, give soft sighs, upon hearing the winner, though I clapped with a grin I could not erase. For James Dale had just won one of the most prestigious awards in Grammy history. He appeared elated but calm as he stepped up onto the stage and accepted the award. He thanked everybody's support for The Waves and told everyone to be on the lookout for a future album. More applause. Everybody cheering. It was clear his win was a very popular one, reflecting the sentiment of the general public.

The award ceremony continued for quite some time. It was well past midnight when it finished, and gossip of afterparties sprouted up from every corner of the stadium. I walked the Red Carpet once more with my two Grammys, holding them proudly despite my rather shy smile. My team insisted we go to the best afterparties in the city, to celebrate my two awards, though I told them I was rather exhausted and needed some sleep. I was to be performing in LA in two days, anyway, and I would be heading to LA tomorrow afternoon. I needed rest.

Though upon leaving Madison Square Garden, my Grammys safe in my bag, the photographers too distracted with the event to notice me, I trailed down 34th street like he had said. It did not take long for me to spot his Porches. I saw his white teeth smile at me. Saw the headlights blink twice. I grinned as well, as I hauled open the door, clambered inside, and let him take the lead for the night.