Dear Ex-Lover

Dear Ex-Lover,

You broke me down, you hurt me. And when you left, when we fell apart, I shattered into a thousand pieces. But I wanted to write to you, to tell you that I'm okay. I want you to know that there's nothing wrong with you. We fell apart because we weren't ready. We didn't fit.

If you'd asked me a year ago, I would have said that I hate you. I would have slashed your tires and made you into a clown. But now, I want you to shine for that one person, to find the happiness that I now have.

I'm still a believer, and I don't know why. Maybe my view on love is irrational. Yet, I will always try. I will never give up on love.

When I was with you, I was shy, I was fragile. I was a foggy piece of glass. Too smooth, too perfect. I'm not like the masqueraders anymore. I'm not shy, actually. I'm brave and strong and fearless. I recognize now that you held me back.

You didn't let me wear high heels because you didn't like them. With you, I had to wear long dresses and frilly colors that made me feel like a maraschino cherry. Too sweet. Inedible. That's what I was. Sweet, jarred poison. So let me thank you. Thank you for breaking that glass. I may be shattered now, but at least I reflect light. I reinvented myself. I grew. And that's the greatest gift you've ever given me.

I wear high heels now, I'll have you know. I don't sit on the sidelines anymore. I float onto the dance floor and become something else. I'm a disco ball on the dance floor, my fiance says. I like the way he talks about me. He makes me happy.

When I was on a tightrope in my life, you told me to be safe. To take the accountant job and put on a smile. But I was miserable. I wanted to dance. That's what I'd always wanted. You told me that wasn't a career. You couldn't have been more wrong. I tried out and now I'm a dancer at the American Ballet Theatre. I couldn't be happier. All's well, ends well.

I know there must still be pain in you. So I tell you, hush my dear. I know everyone said our end was near, but it doesn't have to be a gaping wound. I want you to know that I still remember you, but now I'm at peace. If you need me, I'll be on my highest tiptoes, spinning in my highest heels.

Jarred's tears glistened as he looked up from the letter. As he moved it to the side, a glossy invitation stared back at him. It was an invitation to her wedding.

_________________________

471 words

Inspired by:  Taylor Swift - Mirrorball

Thanks to @-notapril- for suggesting a song from Taylor Swift!