Chapter 6

They'd begun to call all the man-sized drakes "wingdrakes," and the Admiral wanted to be the first to test and see if they could hold the weight of a person laden with gear. After months of getting the creatures used to their presence and even comfortable enough to eat out of their hands (well, buckets of fruit in their hands), everyone was eager to see if they'd allow a rider.

"There's two ways we could do this," the Admiral began. "On top, or below." Those with him let out a soft groan. "Now some of us are used to mounting monsters," he shot a grin to the Seeker. "And some of us aren't, but it's something we all do from time to time. If you can't hold onto a rampaging monster, then you probably won't be able to fly on one either. So I asked the Tech Chief what to do about those of us who can't stay on the back. Show them what you have, Chief!"

A couple of the Tech Chief's hunter underlings lifted a thick leather harness onto the meeting table and dumped it there.

"No matter how we go about it," the Tech Chief began. "Riding a wingdrake is going to be tiring. If you're on top, you have to keep balance with it just like any monster, and that takes a skill not everyone has, but holding on from below? Every single hunter here is used to carrying their weight or more in their arms. We attach a chain to the underside of the harness so that the wingdrakes don't break it mid-flight, and a handle at the bottom for the hunter to hold on to."

"The first step," the Commander spoke up. "Is to get them used to the harnesses. When they learn that the harness does not hurt them, then we can approach them with the chain for trials. Come see me if you want to volunteer for this. We need people who are quick and careful as well as those who can offer suggestions for improvement. If we do this right, we can cut our travel times down immensely."

After the hype and excitement had died down, the Commander spotted the Quartermaster coming for him. There was a determination in his eye that made the Commander want to be somewhere else as quickly as possible, but he held his ground. Whatever the Quartermaster had to say, he would say it whether it was then or later.

"Something on your mind, Quartermaster?"

"Yes." He stopped a few feet away, glanced around, then met the Commander's relaxed gaze. "We don't have the leather or steel for that."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean that the leather we harvest goes to infrastructure and clothing. Tents, boots, jackets, and so on. The particularly durable leather goes into roofing and other projects, and even then the hunters don't always bring back usable skins. As we are right now, we don't have a way to smelt steel effectively. Our steel is low quality. We rely on shipments for new weaponry, and even then most repairs are done through salvage work."

The Commander paused. His brow furrowed in thought and his eyes wandered as if searching for an answer. "At the beginning of all of this, Quartermaster," he started slowly. "You told me that no matter the goal, you would ensure I had the supplies to achieve it." He met the Quartermaster's determined gaze.

"I did, and I will."

"Alright. Then what's your solution?"

The Quartermaster grinned, all teeth and knives. "Encourage hunters to bring back skins more reliably than they have been. Better to bring back an animal for slaughter than cut it up on the field. The hunters tend to get over excited and ruin some of the best cuts, but that is my secondary motive. I would love to have some properly butchered meat..." The man sighed. "Reward those who bring back proper meat and skins with that food. Those who can't do that effectively need another way to be praised, right? I've seen you work. In order to avoid sowing discord, have them work with the tech chief on a new furnace. That should get you your leather and steel, or if it doesn't, I will have to redirect supplies from current projects to this."

"I am way ahead of you, Quartermaster. I will bring that up tonight after the Tech Chief has his furnace in mind." He started to reach up to clap the man on the shoulder, but he stopped when he saw the Quartermaster stiffen. "I know you've been cooped up, Quartermaster, but have you had the chance to walk outside Astera?"

"Only briefly."

"Would you like to walk with me?"

"I... yes. I very much would."

They spent much of the walk like they spent their mornings: in silence. The Quartermaster paused to look at plants while the Commander paused to listen for threats, and though it was pleasant and peaceful, the Commander still felt as if he did not know the man at all.

"Were you a hunter before this, Quartermaster? You've got the build of one, but I don't think I have ever seen you wield a weapon."

"Of sorts." The Quartermaster quickly found an interesting leaf to look at. "I decided to go where the wind took me, and it took me to the First Fleet. What about you, Commander?"

"Of sorts? Oh, well, ever since I was a child, the story of the Five and the Sapphire Star was my favorite tale. It wrapped me up in so much excitement thinking that the place could be real, and now with the regular elder crossings, if it is real, this has to be the place. Elder dragons coming and going? A land we haven't explored yet? This new world is very likely the oldest piece of land, and the thought makes me shake in excitement!" He beamed, pumping his arm as he spoke.

"You have a very handsome smile, ████."

The Commander slowly turned when he heard his name. The Quartermaster was watching him with a fondness he rarely saw in the man. Had it been from anyone else, the Commander would have shot back a compliment immediately, but instead he stood there dumbly.

The rest of the walk passed in peaceable silence.