1| floater

Song for chapter 1: No More Drama by Mary J Blige

Mila lay on her queen-sized mattress. The sheets were in the dryer leaving a cold and bare mattress. She sunk in further as her eyes dropped slightly. It was Friday night in Atlanta. She had just made the move from her home, Baltimore Maryland. The burning orange sky had let her know that time had passed her by. 

Her iPhone pinged lighting up the room. She shifted her weight while reaching for her phone. Mila's newest friend from Atlanta, Stella, had texted. She sighed before looking at the messages. 

StellaBear

we're going out tonight

for what?

you know I don't like going out. 

I want to introduce you to my boyfriend and my other friends

Mila cursed before rubbing the bridge of her nose. She had only known Stella for three months and she had been the best friend Mila has ever had. Stella took the time to help Mila find apartments and had even remembered what Mila's favorite food was. 

Mila looked at her phone once more before responding. 

what time?

Stella screamed as they entered the private section of the hookah lounge. Stella Rose Canter stood at 5'7 with a petite frame. She was always rocking braids or a buss down frontal. She wore a skin-tight neon green dress that made her legs look dreamy. Mila walked behind her feeling out of place. 

She cranked her neck to scout the lounge. People were everywhere creating a wave of anxiety. Mila felt Stella tug her hand further down the sections. Mila's eyes widened at the sight of Stella's friends. Jalen Green and Josh Christopher laughed as they smoked on the hookah. Mila turned to Stella who was oblivious to her panic. 

"Are we in the right section?" Mila asked pulling on her leather pants. 

Stella cocked an eyebrow, "What are you talking about?"

Mila noticed Jalen's attention shift from Josh to Stella, "You didn't tell me that Jalen Green was your boyfriend." 

Stella giggled, "You never asked, honey." 

Before Mila could respond Stella pulled them towards the group. Mila felt like she was going to throw up. Stella gave Jalen a small but intimate kiss to the lips before turning back to her. The group watched with anticipation. 

"Y'all this is my friend Mila! She's new and I wanted her to know you guys. She's super cool and overall a good friend!" Stella cheesed as the group greeted her. 

Mila waved at them and smiled softly. Josh was the first to approach her. He engulfed her in a bear hug that made everyone laugh. Mila relaxed a bit. Josh had that effect on people. Stella pulled Josh away by his shirt. 

"Boy, let the girl breath!" 

"I didn't even do anything."

Mila laughed, "It's okay Stella. I'm straight." 

Stella turned towards the girls of the group. She pointed to a girl with purple hair that contrasted against her dark skin. "That's Raylin."

Raylin smiled showing her smiley piercing, "You have to teach me your hair care routine." 

Mila nodded consciously pulling at her type 4 curls. Stella guided her to another woman. She had on a long skirt and waist beads. "This is Zuri, don't ask her too many questions or she'll start bringing up astrology and tarot."

Zuri held her middle finger making Stella stick her tongue out. Mila sat between Raylin and Zuri nodding her head to the rap music that played through the speakers. Josh sat next to Zuri and pulled on her waist beads. Zuri blushed as they talked. 

"What's going on with them?" Mila secretly asked Raylin. 

Raylin laughed, "Aw shit, you gone fit in just fine. How did you catch that already?"

Mila shrugged her shoulder, "I just noticed." 

An hour had passed and Mila found herself having fun despite not wanting to be out. Mila had a few drinks and vibed with the girls. Josh felt the need to include himself in their conversations but Mila learned that Josh was just like that. 

"Is Omar coming?" Stella yelled to Josh over the loud music.

"He said he had to take care of Sharife." 

Josh had spoken too soon. Omar had made his way to the group. He seemed pretty quiet. They had introduced Omar and Mila waved. He only gave her a head nod and grabbed the Henny bottle. 

"What's his issue?" 

Stella rubbed her back, "Him and Sharife beef a lot during basketball season."

"And whose Sharife?" 

Stella giggled, "Oh we have a lot to discuss." 

authors note:

 new story alert! vote and comment, please

I want to try to get back into making stories so let's see how this goes!