Chapter III

A bond between father and son

It was the next day, after Happy opened up to me about the situation with Natsu. I couldn't sleep much that night thinking about how I was going to help them. 'I'm not entirely sure how this'll work, but I really wanna help Natsu and Happy....' I thought back to Happy's breakdown last night, it broke my heart seeing him like that. The entire night I just couldn't let go of him, even after he fell asleep, when I woke up he was laying on my chest sound asleep, curled up in a little ball.

He looked so adorable, I just smiled to myself as I patted his little head. 'it's actually quite adorable how fast he clung onto me.' I thought as my mind drifted back to this morning. Even after Happy and I got up and had breakfast, we didn't talk much about last night. Or Natsu at all for that matter. 'They must've gotten into a pretty heated argument, I bet, huh?' Happy doesn't really seem in a happy mood, he hasn't been talking much since we got to the guild, he only seems to respond with a grunt or just completely ignore somebody. 'Kinda like a certain somebody-'

The only person Happy would talk to was me, he would sit on my lap and would just stay there or sleep. I was beginning to get worried, and I could tell some of the guild members were a bit concerned. 'There's gotta be more to the story than just Natsu pushing people away...it has to be bad if Happy is acting like this....' I pet Happy's head to comfort him, he sighed in contempt, and snuggled a bit closer to me.

"Poor thing, Happy's never usually like this.....I wonder what happened?" Mira sighed as she washed some of the dishes. "Did something happen between him and Dragneel?" she asked, turning her attention to me and Happy.

'Dragneel? Oh she means Natsu, apparently I've only heard Master and Happy call Natsu by his name, while everyone else refers to him as either Chaos, or Dragneel (Which is Natsu's last name.)' I looked down at Happy to see him frowning again at the mention of Natsu. 'Poor thing, I really hope Happy and Natsu can make up....not only that but I'm sure Natsu is probably feeling the same way Happy is as well....they're both lost and alone....plus from the way Happy spoke about Natsu last night...they seem close, like really close....' I looked up at Mira and shrugged. "Something like that, Happy explained a little bit last night..."

Mira had a worried look on her face as she looked at Happy. Happy shifted on my lap a tiny bit, when he felt Mira's gaze, he seemed a little uncomfortable. I scratched him behind his ears, and he seemed to relax a bit. Mira giggled. "Aww, isn't that adorable? Happy isn't usually like this around the rest of the guild."

I looked up at her in confusion. "He isn't? But he's been like this since I met him." I said. Mira's expression suddenly went from giddy to surprised. "That's strange then, Happy isn't usually clingy with anyone-...well besides Dragneel-...'' I felt Happy flinch slightly at Natsu's name being mentioned again, he then huffed and curled himself into a little ball. 'Okay that confirmed it, there was definitely more to the story- and I was going to get to the bottom of it!'

"Hey, Mira?" I called to her, she then hummed in response and looked up at me. "Can you give me and Happy a moment, please? He only seems to be responding to me at the moment." I asked. Mira smiled and nodded. "Sure Lucy, I'll just be making my rounds if you need me." she said as she left the bar counter with a notepad in hand. "Thank you!"

I looked down at Happy and scratched behind his ears. "Coast is clear, you can talk now." Happy hesitantly looked up at me, he stretched and rubbed his eyes before he hopped onto the table and faced me. "Okay Happy spill, I know there's more to the story than just Natsu's situation, you seem tense when Natsu is brought up, something definitely happened." I made sure to whisper quietly so no one could eavesdrop on our conversation.