The Paper

He looks around to make sure no one is looking and hands me a slip of paper. "Go back to class for now. Text me," he whispers. I nod and leave. On my way back to class I can't help but fantasize about him. Then, it hits me. A boy I have a crush on just gave me his number. I furrow my eyebrows in disbelief. He must be planning some prank or crude joke. Upon entering the classroom, the bell rings. The teacher hands me the homework assignment I wasn't there to receive, and I head to my next class.

After school, I go home and flop down onto my bed. I frantically pull the sheet of paper from my back pocket and save his number. After that, I send him a text.

H: Hey.

It's been awhile. Why isn't he responding? Oh, maybe he's working out.

An hour later, he responds.

N: Who's this?

Butterflies fill my stomach.

H: Haden.

N: Oh, hey man. I have to hop in the shower. I'll text you after.

The shower. Jesus Christ, is he trying to kill me?! I type out, "Can I join you?" I decide that's a little much too fast, assuming he does like me back, and stick with a simpler response.

H: Okay.

N: Would you like to join me?

This can't be real. It's getting hard to breathe.

H: Haha.

Why did I send that?!

N: What's so funny?

H: Nothing. You're joking, right?

He doesn't respond for awhile.

N: Ok, I'm out.

H: So, what's up?

N: Just driving to your house.

My house? How does he know where I live?

H: My parents are here.

N: I got that covered.

I don't understand...

"Haden!" My mom calls from downstairs. "Your father and I are headed to your uncle's house. He needs our help." Before I can answer, they shut and lock the front door.

What the fuck? They never go to his house.

They pull out of the driveway. Not 5 minutes later, there's a knock at the door. I hurry downstairs and look through the peephole. It's him.