14

rae

"go wait in finn's car baby," she whispered. "i'll be out soon."

my body relaxing instantly at the possibility of avoiding the fight that was obviously going to happen, i made my escape, instantly feeling guilty over leaving billie as i exited the building.

the next 20 minutes were filled with mental turmoil over wanting to go back in there and wanting to avoid whatever was happening.

instead i opened candy crush to try to take my mind off it.

in the end it was too late, because billie was already walking out of the building.

she entered the car silently, and my heart instantly dropped for her. she looked like she'd been crying.

"you good," i asked quietly, half expecting not to get a response.

"i'm good," she mumbled back. her voice was strained, and i watched as she blinked harshly, obviously trying to prevent herself from crying.

i wanted to say something, give her a hug, anything, but she obviously didn't feel like talking about it.

"yeah?" i spoke, quieter than before.

"yeah."

-

that was last week, and since then i haven't even been with billie.

i know i probably should be, especially considering the fact that she broke down in my arms in the middle of the night over a fight she had with her imprisoned father, but i knew her and finneas needed to talk through some stuff, because they haven't had a real chance to talk yet, since billie made a reappearance from new york.

i also couldn't keep staying with finneas, i barely knew the guy.

claudia and i, on the other hand, have grown quite close over the past six months i've been living in their house. i'll definitely have to stay in touch with her when i move.

oh, and that's how i ran into my mother. 

i was looking for a house, nearby, obviously, because i've been earning a little money from the job i took up at the local corner shop. it doesn't pay much, but i'm earning enough to pay for a small flat. and hey, it's a start.

billie knows i have the job, but not that i'm looking for a place to live. if i told her, she'd just offer to pay. which would be nice, and obviously she could afford it, but i wanted to do something for myself. recently it feels like i've just been taking everything from billie and finneas. finneas isn't rich, per se, but he does have quite a lot of money. he works as a music producer now, which is kinda cool. 

anyhow, i was looking for apartments, and when we (myself and my estate agent, estelle) were walking to the next offer, i literally walked right into my mother. 

i can't say it wasn't awkward, but probably not as awkward as it could've been. 

she stopped dead, spoke a long string of spanish words that even i was struggling to make out, never mind the staring bypassers, and pulled me into a hug, which led me coming around for dinner. and staying over. for a week.