3. Asking for help to a enemy (The boy and the wolf)

'I can't wait for the War Games to start!' Zeke said as he walked down the hall with Cameron.
'Me too.' His friend replied with a smile. 'But you know why they're not saying anything about it? I mean, it's weird to announce it and the teams, but not explain what it's going to be.'
'Maybe they want to keep the suspense for the day. But it's a shame we're not in the same team.'
'You're right, plus you're with Jace and Noah on your team. Not too bummed?'
'You bet I am. Honestly, it's the worst thing in the world. I mean, who wants them as teammates?'
'Is there something you want to talk to me about, Noah?' A voice in the corner asked.

The two friends saw Cameron's father in front of them, talking to Noah. Nothing strange, after all a student can talk with a teacher. No, the strangest thing was that Noah was not with Jace: where was he?
'You don't look well Noah, what's wrong with you?' The teacher asked, looking at Noah who looked tired.
'Actually, I'd like to know if you knew where Jace was. I was with him last night but he suddenly disappeared and this morning he wasn't back.' Noah explained. 'I thought he came here early but I haven't seen him since school started.'
'Wait, what do you mean he disappeared?'
'Well, I left him for a few minutes and when I went back into the living room he was gone. No trace of him, and I know it's not like him to disappear like that.'
'Fuck, in addition to Professor Graves, Jace had to disappear too.' Professor Gregor said with a worried look on his face. 'God, I hope that's not-'
'My dad's missing?' Zeke asked suddenly, who had overheard the conversation with Cameron.
'Zeke! What, you don't know that your father's been missing for two days?' the teacher retorted, very surprised by the sudden arrival of his son and friend.
'Actually, I'm skipping chemistry class and I'm not home much, I spend my time at someone else's house. I'm not really on good terms with my dad, so we don't talk much. But you really don't know where he is?'
'I've tried to call him a few times but he never answers. The art teacher was the last person to see him and they said they should call the police.'
'So what are you waiting for to call the police?' Cameron asked from beside Zeke. 'Maybe something happened to him.'

Cameron's father remained silent, not saying anything as if something was stopping him. He took a deep breath before saying:
'We'll wait a little longer, if we don't hear from your father Zeke by then we'll call the police. The same goes for you Noah, so don't worry.'
'But Dad, the first few hours in a disappearance are the most important! You told my brothers and I that!'
'I know what I said Cameron!' his father retorted, keeping his composure but still looking at him seriously. 'I'm going to talk to the other teachers and ask their opinion.'

Without giving the boys time to answer anything, he walked away from them. The three of them didn't know what to say or even what to do. It was finally Noah who broke the silence, to the astonishment of the other two:
'Zeke, I have a completely twisted proposal for you. How about joining forces with me to find your father?' He asked, looking him in the eye.
'You're not serious? Me ally myself with you? But you're really crazy! After what you and Jace did to us, I'm sorry but I prefer to leave the job to the adults.'
'You know the teachers won't do anything, you naive bastard! Look, what Jace and I did was really, really uncool. But I'm not looking for your forgiveness, just your alliance. If we start looking together, we can find your dad and Jace.'
'Zeke, you're going to think I'm crazy, but I agree with Noah on this one.' Cameron added, putting his hand on his friend's shoulder. 'I sensed in my father's eyes that trying to get the teachers to help me would be a losing proposition.'
'Cameron, I want you to remember that they tried to drown you and wrecked the truck. And maybe Jace doesn't need any help, after all, bad things are his thing. But...'

Zeke paused to think and whispered something in Cameron's ear. Noah watched them silently: why had he proposed this? He knew in advance that they would refuse.
'Noah, we agree, but under certain conditions.' Cameron said, crossing his arms. 'Firstly, you must tell the truth and the whole truth if you are asked a question.'
'Wh-What? Well, okay, no problem.'
'Secondly, I want you to know that if you do anything bad to us, you'll have to deal with me.' Zeke added, cracking his knuckles, but that didn't scare Noah.
'And finally, we'd like you to answer this little question.'
'What's the question?' The young man asked leaning against the wall.
'Is Jace a werewolf?' Cameron asked without taking his eyes off him.

Noah stared into his eyes, he knew that question was there to test him. No one but him here was supposed to know that his friend was a werewolf. If Cameron and Zeke are asking that, then they've found out, so lying wouldn't help. He nodded convincingly without saying a word. The two friends turned and nodded to each other as if in agreement.
'Meet me at my house after school.' Zeke said, approaching Noah very closely. 'If you're not there, watch out. And remember this: I'm teaming up with you to find my dad and not that asshole Jace.'

Here is the chapter, sorry it took a while to be published. ❄🐡
I've been unwell due to the stress of studying and I'm trying to find some time to rest during this holiday. Nevertheless, I hope you enjoyed this chapter. I hope you're ready for the next chapter because you're not going to be surprised.
See you soon young Mercenaries 🌸☀️