Chapter 5

"Sect Leader Jiang, be careful!"

Before Jiang Cheng could react, a white figure suddenly pulled him back in his arms, as a silver thread flew very close to him, heavily wounding part of his arm and chest, causing him to bleed.

The white figure was Lan Xichen.

Only then did Jiang Cheng remember that the Lan Sect Leader was still there. If Lan Xichen hadn't pulled him out of the way just now, he would have been pierced by the silver thread and died.

"Sect Leader Jiang, don't get distracted!" Lan Xichen held Jiang Cheng in his arms with one hand, while the other used his sword Shuoyue to cut the silver thread.

Jiang Cheng was not used to being held in someone's arms like he was at the moment. The faint refreshing fragrance of Lan Xichen's body, accompanied by the scent of blood, makes him a little dizzy. However, Lan Xichen's strength is so terrifying, he felt so trapped that he couldn't move. Before he could even get angry about it, three silver threads were shot towards them. Lan Xichen pushed Jiang Cheng behind him and used his sword to resist the attack.

Jiang Cheng took the opportunity to turn around and escape from Lan Xichen's embrace. Jiang Cheng, without much effort, used Zidian to block another wave of silver threads directed at them.

"This is endless!" Jiang Cheng's voice was overwhelmed, "I can't keep up with these silver threads. How is it that Jin Guangyao has so many of them?!"

"Does Sect Leader Jiang hear a different voice?" Lan Xichen asked suddenly.

"I hear nothing but the sound of these damn threads!" Jiang Cheng shouted while swinging Sandu.

Lan Xichen was silent as he suddenly remembered that as an alpha, his sense of hearing and smell were much higher than Jiang Cheng's, so he could hear the voice that Jiang Cheng couldn't hear. "Sect Leader Jiang, please cover me for a bit."

Immediately after he finished speaking, Lan XiChen went towards the place where he heard the voice. Jiang Cheng only glanced at him for a second before he again had to deal with the silver threads coming from everywhere.

Lan XiChen was not just any Alpha, as his clan specialized in all types of musical cultivation, therefore he was particularly sensitive to sound. And among the hiss of the sharp threads, he noticed a different sound mixed in the middle.

Slowly, an almost inaudible sound through the wood.

Someone as smart as Lan Xichen immediately discovered what was controlling those threads. He used Shuoyue to cut the silver thread in front of him and ran towards the source of the sound. The closer he got to the sound, the more threads appeared. It was like a cobweb that covered every corner, and it was difficult to resist them all with Shuoyue alone.

Lan Xichen immediately took out Liebing and placed the xiao near his mouth to produce a sound. Using his spiritual energy, he altered the other threads by using a special melody. Those silk threads could not stop the rhythm of this attack, and they quickly vanished, revealing an old, dark cypress tree.

The cypress tree! Lan Xichen quickly remembered they had crossed a cypress tree before entering the illusion! He immediately picked up Shuoyue and ran towards that tree. Without the protection of Liebing's melody, the threads attacked Lan Xichen again, but he was faster and managed to pierce the center of the cypress trunk.

From the trunk of the tree, a strange sound was heard that was as loud as the clash of one metal against another. However, along with this sound, the few silver threads about to stab the Lan sect leader fell as if they lost their will to live.

Sure enough, the real culprits were hidden in the cypress tree!

Lan XiChen turned and shouted, "In the cypress tree! Sect Leader Jiang! The strings are being controlled from something hidden within the cypress tree!"