2

Sometimes I wonder if he's trying to bring the house down then I felt the sadness rushing in all over

Soon after the school year drew to a close, the holiday went by quickly with Papa away on whatever 'business trip' he had. I did not have a problem with it though, it worked out just fine, at least I gives your scars time to heal to some extent.

Upon resumption, Miss Janet gifted me with some chocolates and a fancy toy car which she said I could use at her house whenever I wanted.

I felt uneasy about them so I told her 'No, thank you' with a shy smile, but I did not miss the frown on her face.

I felt quite sad afterwards because it was the first gift i had received in years.

I kept on visiting her at her office; even though I had completed the counseling schedule I was given. I guess I just grew fond of her.

Sometimes she would drop me off at home after school, since her house was not so far from ours. I made sure to tell stop at least 3 houses away from ours.

Other times she would suggest I drop by, but I politely refuse, she gets upset but masks it with a forceful laugh and then a tight lipped smile.

I woke up to hear your loud screams and as I peeped through the slightly opened door, I saw you Mama, laying there on the cold ground, crying your eyes out, shivering like you had just seen a ghost.

I could not stand the sight of it. I could not bear to see you like that, so I ran. I ran as fast as I could.

I had no idea where I was running to when I passed the front gate but I kept on running. Sitting under the big mango tree two streets away, I saw Miss Janet, I tried to hide my face so she would not ask me any questions but I guess I was not fast enough.

She called out to me with a bright smile and then asked what I was doing just sitting all alone under the tree. I did not want to tell her but at that point I think all I needed to do was to talk to someone.

She took me to her house and gave me something to eat. She put on some cartoons for me to watch and they were quite funny.

It's been a long time since I've watched cartoons. That day I went home in a better mood and she insisted I come back the following day that my company was refreshing. I mean, I just sat there barely doing anything, but okay.

The next day when I got there, she turned on the television for me to watch some more cartoons. She even gave me food and juice.

It all felt nice. But I felt quite uncomfortable when she started walking around in just a towel, not too long after she excused herself to go do some chores.