4. Does happiness still exist?

Samantha's blood boiled.  She felt that her legs were cotton.

- You...you...know what about this bombardment, she said stammering.

Suddenly, Mohamed showed a doll covered in blood.  She looked brand new.

- Who owns this doll?

- It was in Meriem.  Nouh's sister, Mohamed said lowering his head.

Samantha was surprised at this information and put her hands over her mouth.  She was on the verge of tears.

- Why is she covered in blood?

- Abdelkarim...Fatima...Meriem... And all the other people.....vi...living in the bi...bi...donville didn't survive the..., answered-  he gasped and wept.

Samantha's eyes widened and her heart raced.  Mohamed didn't have time to finish his sentence and countless tears slid down his cheeks like an avalanche.  He couldn't stop and his breath was short.

- How are we going to tell Noah? she wondered, shaking her hands.

- I don't know, Samantha.  I do not know.

Nouh wondered what they were doing outside while drinking her vegetable soup.  Samantha felt compelled to announce the bad news but she had to find the right moment.

Nouh finished his meal and left to join his uncle and his wife.

- Why are you standing in the cold, he said, scratching his chin.

Mohamed raised his head and hid the doll behind him.

- *sigh* come my child in the living room.  We need to talk, he said.

He entered the house holding Nouh's hand, who was still confused.

Mohamed sat down on a fabric armchair and took Nouh to place him on his left knee.  Samantha, meanwhile, stood in front of the living room door, crossing her arms and resting her head on the wall.  Mohamed took a deep breath before starting the news.  Suddenly, he stifled a sob but he repeated to himself "You can do it Mohamed".

- Noah.  I have to tell you something.  It's about your parents.

And he showed her the bleeding doll that belonged to Meriem and Nouh's eyes widened.  His gaze went back and forth on the doll and on Mohamed's eyes.  He didn't understand what was happening.

- It's...Meriem's...this...this doll, he said stammering.  What is she doing here?  And why is she bleeding?

Mohammad sighed and said:

- Your parents and your sister died in the bombardment this morning.

Here is.  It was fast but he had to tell her.  Nouh froze and clapped his hands on his head repeatedly as if he was going crazy.

- No. It's impossible. They are not dead. They are alive. I'll go get them.

Mohamed took Nouh's hands but the little one howled with hatred and suddenly cried.

- My son ! Please ! Calm down !

- I'm an orphan now! I do not have anything ! It's your fault ! You brought me back here when my father didn't want to! I had to die with them!

He got down from his uncle's knee and banged his head against the wall. Samantha ran to pick him up and stop him.

- Noah ! Stopped ! That's enough ! Stop doing that !