Chapter Four

***************

***************

Davien POV:

It's Friday night – the night of the start of the season. The night is cold and you can feel the tension in the air. The stands are filling up fast. Fans from across the town fill up the free spaces available while the Raiders take up most of the space on the bleaches. This is exactly what fuels our drive to win – a packed house, the chanting and cheering.

Football was big in our town and everyone basically lived and breathed football. The feud between the Raiders and Jaguars has been ongoing since the 70's and by the looks of the atmosphere around us, the rivalry definitely will not be dying out tonight.

"Alright, listen up boys. You're going to go out there and bleed for each other. Am I understood?" Coach Harris yells at us, looking directly at me. I could read the message clear in his eyes. Play hard but play clean. I didn't exactly blame him for that. My anger issue hasn't exactly been the best lately but I had to keep my head in the game. I nodded firmly, keeping my eyes locked with his letting him know that I wouldn't be letting him down tonight. He had faith in me at my lowest and I had every intention of making his faith in me count.

"Now, go out there and prove to them why we are the better team. Show them that they aren't shit compared to us." He finishes with a loud clap that has the team hooting and hollering, the energy high inside the locker room.

"Dave." He calls over all the noise. "Keep your head together tonight, yeah?"

Coach has seen me at my worst and never called me out on it. Instead, he gave me time to grief and to get my head back in the game. I had potential and for that he never gave up on me. His methods are what make him an exceptional coach and mentor.

"Got it, Coach." I said with a nod as I made my way to line up with the team.

It's tradition that the team enters the field by running through the school banner. It was the start of the season and every fucking moment counts for us. It was our last season playing as a team before we headed off to college. My eyes locked with Scott and the look on his face tells me that his thinking the same thing. Giving him a small nod, I turned back my focus on the field before us, my grip tightening around the helmet in my hand.

The fans in the bleaches roar with excitement and anticipation, ready to see a real blood bath. Everyone knows the score of having these two teams come together on one field. Our hatred runs deep and tonight I had a score to settle of my own.

The loud booming of the announcer's voice and the loud whistle followed by cheers is our cue to get moving. With loud hooting and hollering the team follows me as we burst through the banner and run onto the field.

After the announcement of the lineup of both teams, we huddle up in the middle of the field. I look at each man on my team in the eye, my leg shaking from the rush of adrenaline coursing through my body.