Chapter 2

~Leonardo~

~Leonardo~

As I wait, I assess the surroundings. The house before me is a simple one. Not a touch of extravagance. A small two storey house of milky white and grey colour. There is a small staircase in front and lush greenery around it.

The door opens and there stands, I assume, uncle Joseph, in front of me. I have not seen him in years. The last time he went to Turin was nearly six years ago and I was only twelve years old then.

For a priest, he is quite handsome. I have to give him that. Although he is in his late fifties, like my father, he has maintained his physique well.

He is giving orders to someone in the kitchen when he opens the door.

"He does not like it. Do not..." But his last sentence trails off seeing me on the front porch, my suitcase kept beside me.

"Hello! uncle." I greet him, hoping I did not mistake someone else as him.

"Leonardo, is that you?" He looks at me, squinting his eyes, adjusting the glasses on top of his nose.

"Yes, uncle." I give him a small smile. Not knowing what his reaction will be.

"Oho ho. Welcome son." He welcomes me with open arms, a huge smile on his slight wrinkled face.

My tense shoulders sag in relief seeing the warmth in his eyes and the genuineness in his words.

I return the gesture, embracing him back, feeling at home again.

Dad was right. He really will be a father figure to me in dad's absence.

I mentally praise dad for contacting uncle about this matter.

He breaks the hug first, "Come in. Come in. You must be tired after the long journey." Saying this he ushers me inside.

I take my suitcase and enter the house after him, which will be my home for the following years.

The living room is cosy, giving homely vibes. The roof is made of wood and has bulbs hanging down from it. In the middle there is a C shaped sectional sofa and a storage ottoman in front of it. At two sides of the sofa are two table stands, two lamps on top of them. The wall opposite from the entrance has a television cabinet, books around it. There is a huge window facing the outside of the house. Different sizes of picture frames adorn the walls of the room. And almost at every corner there is a potted plant.

Then comes the dining room.

It has a rectangular wooden table in the middle, three wooden chairs each at both sides and two chairs at either end of the table. There is a candle stand on the table and an old chandelier hanging down from the roof with burning candles. The walls are decorated with designer plates.

This room too has plant pots at the corners.

Seeing me looking at the plants curiously, uncle answers my unasked question.