Chapter 2; Baby Brother

                “Why are you so quiet?” Jay asked me. I looked up from my laptop. “What?” I asked, looking back at the pictures of Tae and I on my screen. Harry, Jay, and I were sitting at a table in the library in our study hall period. He looked over at my pictures, grinning slyly. “Oh, I see. You’re obsessing over my sister.”

                “Are those pictures of you and Tae?” Harry asked. I tried to cover my screen by minimizing them, but we were my background anyway. I sighed. “Yeah, they are. I don’t know what to do.” I rubbed my forehead. Jay’s face went blank. “Well, you cheated on her. For that,” Jay said, looking over at the table where Gina and her posse sat. I scoffed in disgust as Gina waved at us.

                “Biggest mistake of my life,” I said truthfully. I knew Jay was still mad about it, and I didn’t blame him. I just wanted her back. I was having a lot of trouble doing anything except for thinking about her. Tae, Tae, Tae, it was always Tae, just Tae. “I could help, if you want.” Jay shrugged. “Really?” I asked, my eyes brightening. He nodded. “Yeah, she’ll get pissed off beyond repair if she finds out, but yeah, I’ll do it. Only because I know you love her and you would never, ever, even consider doing it again.” Jay said warningly. I nodded eagerly.

                “Okay good. You just…you can’t…hurt her like that again, Tate. I’m serious. I’ll kill you, man.” I nodded, knowing how dead serious Jay was. “Dude, I would never, ever again. I’d do anything to take that back,” I said reverently. “Don’t cry, dude.” Harry muttered. I gave him a look, to which he shrugged.

                “I’ll talk to Jayde about it, see what she says.” He looked back at his Calculus book, Harry back to his Ipod, and me back to pictures of my ex-girlfriend and me. Scottie Paxton ran in, trying to be as quick yet as quiet as possible. He looked up to Jay, almost to a point of weirdness. But Jay was nothing but nice to him, ever.

                He was a scrawny little sophomore, one of those invisible kids who heard about everything. He was Jay’s little bitch, mine and Harry’s when we wanted, but we respected him, mostly. He wasn’t that bad, really. “Jay, Dustin needs your help.” He said. Jay cursed and left as soon as he could, with us following.

                Jay’s little brother was Dustin O’Hara, recent freshman, gay, and not afraid to say it. Needless to say he was a frequent target of bullying with only us, and Taemilla to stick up for him. “Scottie can you go get Taemilla? I think she’s in English…I don’t know if she skipped though. Make something up.” Jay instructed Scottie gently. Scottie nodded and ran off. Honestly, I think the kid has ADHD but I mean whatever.

                Jay led us to the cafeteria, where his brother had last lunch. We went outside immediately, trying not to seem too alarmed because Dustin would flip out if anybody ever found out (meaning teachers) about him being bullied. Being men, we understood. But Taemilla wanted nothing more than for it to stop.  There was no way all of the other kids didn’t know about what was going on, so the looks from the other students here were no big surprise. They knew where we were headed.

                As soon as we got outside and out of view, Jay ran behind the baseball field. Harry and I jogged behind him. Jay grabbed the first kid he could, and threw him against the fence. “Jay?” Dustin’s voice was rough, not at all girly. Honestly you would never suspect that he was gay until he told you. Dustin had Tae’s personality, meaning he probably didn’t regret telling anybody who he was. That was why I liked Dustin, gay or not.

                There were about three sophomores standing around Dustin, who was covered in dirt and crawled up in a ball to protect his head. Poor kid, who the hell would ever do this to anyone? I grabbed the big meaty kid who seemed to be doing most of the kicking by the back of his neck. His eyes went wide as soon as he saw my face. I kneed him in the stomach, looking down in disgust as he collapsed onto the ground.