Sunset and Sunrise

Chat Noir sat on a rooftop staring out as the sun set over Paris. The colors slowly faded, just like his feelings for her had. It didn't hurt anymore. He thought about how that ending could eventually lead to a new beginning.

Oh, he had loved Ladybug. They had a special bond at one time. Then she became the guardian and that bond cracked, shifted, and faded away into something entirely different. His former partner had changed. A partnership took effort from both sides to work properly. He tried, but she was busy or maybe she didn't want it anymore. Eventually, he had to just let it go.

It had hurt at the time, but he had settled into his new role and tried to look at things from a different angle. What he saw was interesting. The other holders looked to him for leadership. As it turns out, even without being Ladybug's partner he was still a leader to them. They listened to him and respected his experience. Things weren't how he pictured they would be, but he liked his role as a mentor and friend. It came naturally to Chat Noir to encourage the others. So, he found his own spot on the team in that way. He learned to work with Ladybug differently and not be so caught up on what could have been.

It surprised him that his heart let go. He realized he valued trust and mutual respect more than anything in a relationship. He wasn't bitter towards her. They'd grown apart. The connection they had changed to one of a holder and the guardian. He'd gone through a frustrated stage of course, but eventually the dust had settled. Things were very different, but the two were okay.

After Chat Noir's feelings for Ladybug faded, his heart gave him a break instead of immediately moving on to someone new. It was something he was thankful for. With Plagg's encouragement he'd learned a lot about appreciating himself as a whole. It was a period of time he needed to really focus on himself, reflect, and grow as a person.

Viperion seemed to understand him in a way that no one else could. Chat Noir was usually the one encouraging others, but the Snake Miraculous holder always seemed to know when he was the one who needed encouraging. Of course, Adrien was the one who suggested Luka as the Snake Miraculous holder in the first place. He knew Viperion's identity. This made it easier to grow very close to him over the past month.

Then Chat Noir surprised himself one day by staring at the hero just a little too long. He could feel his cheeks burning. Luka was kind, caring, empathetic, and he was also very handsome. The realization struck Adrien. His heart decided it was time. He'd fallen for someone yet again. This time, it was someone he knew both sides of. The thought excited him. At the same time, Adrien's heart had been through a lot of rejection and he wasn't sure he wanted to go through it again. How should he react to this new revelation? Did Luka even feel the same way? His friendship with both Viperion and Luka meant so much to him he'd hate to ruin it, so he tried to keep quiet about his crush.

-----

"Because I'm just so good at keeping my feelings to myself when it comes to love." Chat Noir said sarcastically to himself as he reminisced and the sun sank lower in the sky.

-----

A few days ago he had slipped up.

A team of 6 heroes had gathered to defeat an akuma. They succeeded in no small part thanks to Viperion's quick thinking using his Second Chance.

"Pound it!" They all bumped fists.

Chat Noir gently grabbed Viperion's hand before he pulled away. Acting on impulse in the moment.

"You were paws-itively incredible out there today." He brought the hand to his lips and gently kissed it while holding eye contact.

"I-" Viperion looked at him stunned and blushing furiously. "Thank you Chat Noir."