chapter 3

Chapter 3

When death awaits you go various stages, anger. He was angry at his mother for having allowed him to live in the first place, his father for not protecting him and to kill himself. He tried many times, but he couldn't do it.

Denial, he thought, it was all a mistake. The red light meant he was safe. He was in denial. He thought if he slept on it he would wake up the red light gone. He thought his buddies were seeing things, the red light wasn't really there.

Depression and acceptance were yet to be felt. He was still in denial. He went through all this whilst he was standing with his friends at the scraps. He shook his head drastically and tried to hunt for some valuable scraps, but his mindset was already somewhere else. From a distance, he heard a light buzzing sound.

Swiftly, he stood up and so did his friends. If they could hear the sound too... that was bad.

"The drones." Polo said before cautiously picking up his bag. Everyone started putting things inside their bags, preparing to take off.

"Let's go!" Greg called out, out of breath.

He carried his bag, and they started running. Joe slipped and fell on the ground as they raced down the scrap hill. Greg quickly helped him up,, and they continued running. They got into a secret tunnel that led inside the district quietly. Only the sounds of their footsteps and their loud breathing could be heard. At the end of the tunnel they stopped running and Polo, who was in front, signaled others to stop running. He checked both sides and there was no black knight patrolling. He signaled others with his hand to follow him and they sneaked out of the tunnel.

"Hey!" a loud voice called out to them and they knew it was the black knights. With smiles on their faces, they knew what had to be done, split and run.

"Another time mate." Joe said, heading in his own direction at full speed.

"Don't get caught." Greg said, shifting his head a bit and launching into a full marathon.

He started running, heading in the direction of some old messy buildings. Peter, Greg's old friend, ended up becoming a black knight because of his father.

Ever since Greg witnessed the death of his mother in the hands of his friend's father, he chose not to talk to him. Peter, on the other and still cared for his friend quite deeply and tried his best to show it to his friend to no prevail. He had grown up to be tall and because of his job and the plenty amount of training he become muscular than Greg. He noticed Greg running away, and he knew his friend was in trouble again. He communicated with the other black knights that Greg was his.

Greg didn't stop running. He entered one of the haggard building and climbed on some bricks that were near the walls. He quickly jumped to the other side. He stopped for a second to hold his breath. He stood up after hearing that there were no footsteps that were following him. With a smirk on his face, he stood up and adjusted his bag before running again. He took a left turn around the building only to bump into Peter, who grabbed his hand and pushed him to the wall.

Peter pressed Greg's chest a bit so he wouldn't move. Greg, realizing it was Peter he clicked his tongue, pushing him away. Peter let out a sigh, releasing him.

"You know it's not my job to cover up for you all the time?" he said, adjusting his gun.

"I never asked for your help now. Did I?" Greg said, his voice cold with a mocking smile on his face.