Chapter 9: No One Can Stop Her Plan

≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫

“Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.” —Proverb 31:30

≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫

“MY LADY, what are you going to do with the things that you bought?” Emily, who was sitting in front of Lantana, asked with curiosity.

“I’ll use them?” she replied with a hint of sarcasm.

“But will the duke allow you, my lady? You never learned how to use a bow.”

'I know that one, Emily. The first day I occupied this body of your previous master, I immediately felt how weak she was. She was so feeble that a minute of jogging would definitely make her collapse. How could she even handle practicing on how to use any weapon?' She thought in annoyance.

It’s a good thing, though, that things were changing after she started her physical training with the body. What was more, she even felt like her previous strength in her first life was rapidly coming back.

“I can always learn. However, I still don’t have a plan to use this weapon. I would still like to continue with my makeover.”

“Makeover?” Emily’s forehead creased because of the unfamiliar term her lady used.

“My transformation. My total renewal. Don’t you think it’ll be pretty funny to see the people who used to criticize me and their pathetic reactions after discovering that I’m really beautiful but they chose not to see that because they were envious of me for being beautiful despite my size before? I won’t make a move because this appearance is already my revenge, however! If any of them try to harm me, I will not stand still anymore.”

“That’s the spirit, my lady!” Emily said in an energetic tone as she tried to secretly wipe her tears.

“My dear… What is that thing you are holding right now?”

Lantana’s face froze as her heart went wild. Cold bullet of sweat formed around her forehead as she raised her head. Right. They had already left the carriage, but she was still holding the bow. But she thought it was still too early for the duke to come back. That was why she was so listless. Why was he there already anyway!?

She sighed deep inside her. She guessed it couldn’t be helped but to explain things earlier instead of creating any more misunderstandings and unnecessary confusion.

The duke, who looked as if waiting for her at the front porch of the mansion and was about to greet her with enthusiasm, was taken aback upon seeing the object that she was holding with her hands.

She forced a smile as she raised the weapon.

“A bow?” she said with a smile that looked as if she was caught cheating in a test.

“Explain, my daughter.”

The duke had an aura of seriousness he didn't usually show to Penelope. That was why Lantana’s heart was beating so loudly deep inside.

“I bought it because I want it?” she said in a tone with uncertainty that made the duke widen his eyes in disbelief.

In the end, the duke immediately saw her newly purchased weapon before she could even prepare an excuse. He was dumbfounded at first upon hearing her reply. He kept on looking at her with a panicked face and then to the bow. After that, a loud gasp came out of his mouth before he dramatically lost his balance in shock. The good thing was, the head butler was behind him, so he didn’t fall because of his overreaction.