Mirabel's Death

TW: Blood and death.

'Mirabel's Death' WAS INSPIRED BY THE COUNTLESS OF TIKTOK'S/YOUTUBE VIDS/IMAGES/COMICS I'VE SEEN ALL DOING THEIR UNIQUE TAKE ON THE AU WHERE CASITA DIDN'T SAVE MIRABEL IN ENCANTO. SO I THOUGHT 'HOW WOULD I WRITE IT?' SO... YEAH.

~~~~

The dust settled. The Madrigal family stared at what was left of their wonderful casita.

Fear rose in Julieta's throat like bile.

"Mirabel!"

"Mirabel!"

Agustín and Julieta called as they ran into the rubble. Looking. Searching. Praying.

Isabela and Luisa followed their parents.

Pepa rushed to the casita, to see what she could find. See what she could save. Félix held onto a shaking Antonio. Camilo could only look, as he processed what happened. Dolores, realising that the world was, for the first time since she was five, quiet, approached in a calm peace to check on her petrified Abuela.

"Mirabel?" Julieta and Agustín continued to call and search for their daughter. Isabela and Luisa looked for their sister just the same.

Bruno hadn't moved from his spot among the bushes. Until he heard someone approaching and in fear, scurried away. From the shadows, he watched his sister, Pepa, go through the rubble.

Pepa, in her search, found a table she hadn't seen. Her eyes had caught it because of the drawing on the wood. A small, sand-coloured circle... a plate... Bruno's plate.

"Julieta, come quick!" Pepa yelled. Her throat was tight as she stared at the table.

Bruno had been in the house? He had been inside the house?

"Julieta!" Pepa called again, but there was no response. Julieta was still searching for her baby girl.

Pepa looked around, her eyes once more stopping at their casita.

"How did this happen?" Pepa asked.

"I'm sorry, Pepa," Bruno whispered from the shadows.

People of the town had come to help, come to do whatever they could. Félix left Antonio with a mother with kids of her own and followed his family into the debris.

Abuela Alma could hardly breathe at the mess. The chaos and destruction. She had lost everything.

"Let me help you," Dolores whispered though now she had no reason to. Her Abuela looked feint and Dolores helped her sit on some of the rubble. "Let me help you."

Félix checked on Camilo who stood, frozen in what once was the doorway.

"Mirabel?" Agustín and Julieta continued.

Bruno made his way around casita, wanting to help. But he knew. Everything would be blamed on him; everything would be his fault. As he turned to walk away, a glitter caught his eye. Green.

Glasses.

"No."

Slowly, Bruno came out of the shadows and scurried to the glasses.

Bruno could still hear Julieta and Agustín calling for their daughter. Now it was Bruno whose fear rose like bile. Had Mirabel not gotten out? His chest tightened.

"Mirabel?" Bruno called quietly and rushed into the rubble now. He moved what he could, pushed what he could to the side.

He pushed aside what once had been a set of drawers. Underneath was a hand, grasping the remains of their enchanted candle.