moment's silence \\ pure fluff & romance

TW: Death described in a romantic way (think Hozier and Morticia & Gomez). I apologize if the dialogue seems strange, but I'm a sucker for formal, romantic wording. Honestly, I loved writing this. Let me know if you guys enjoyed this as well!

Also, there's references to the previous chapter. Can you catch them? :)

The chill of midnight had set into Fumikage's room as we huddled together in his nest of soft blankets. I felt his chuckle reverberate in my chest as a predictable jumpscare blared across the TV's screen. We had this weekly tradition; him and I would cuddle close in a nest of blankets in his room, watching cheesy B-rated horror movies. I laughed myself as I watched the heroine scream as the killer approached slowly, giving her a window of time that was definitely enough to run. The night was calm and pleasant, the simple comfort of each other's presence encasing us in friendly warmth. It was easy to breathe when we were together. I smiled as I shifted to lay my head upon his shoulder, and without a moment's pause he wrapped his arm around me. I felt my eyes and mind grow heavy and tired, and I leaned closer. Feeling safe to do so for the first time in a long time, I let my eyes slide shut next to someone.

I awoke to a dark room, save his crescent moon nightlight across from his bed. I felt a steady heartbeat below my face, and shifted my gaze. Outlined by the minimal moonlight, Fumikage was sleeping peacefully beneath me. I had my head laid on his chest, his arms wrapped around me, and a soft black blanket pulled to my shoulders. I felt my heart thrum as I looked at his resting face, calm and beautiful in the moonlight's shine. Reaching slowly as not to wake him, I ran my palm and fingers through his feathers, watching as he leaned into my hand. I realized in that moment, more than I had in any of our moment's before, how much I wanted this to be my forever. Soft tears fell freely as I grinned and buried my face back into his chest, his heartbeat lulling me into the sweetest slumber I'd ever experienced.

Sunlight pierced through my closed eyes, stirring me from sleep. I went to arise from where I lay, only to have arms restrict me into place. Fumikage was still asleep. I giggled quietly as I peeled his arms off of me, setting them back down as gently as I could. I climbed out of the warmth of his bed, my bare feet setting themselves upon the dark purple rug on his floor. Pulling his blanket up to his shoulders, I paused for a moment to look at him. Fumikage was a gentle soul, one of quiet presence and beautiful mind. It was easy to lose oneself in the comfort of his presence and poetry of his words. I leaned down and laid the gentlest kiss I could on his forehead, not wanting to stir him. I hoped he was dreaming of something sweet.

I returned to his room soon after leaving, coffee in hand. The gentle click of his door behind me made him turn to his side, and I froze for a moment. After I realized he was still asleep, I walked quietly to his bedside, leaving his mug on the table next to him. I sat on his bed, staring out the window for a good long while, sipping on my coffee. I watched the sun rise and heard the songs of birds begin waking the world. Contentment had seeped into my bones, replacing the long-there bitterness that had ruled me. I smiled as I watched the sun rays dip and dance on his floorboards. Eventually, I heard him rustle and groan, and felt the bed shift. I looked behind me and the smile on my face widened ten-fold as I saw his feathers stick up and out of place. His eyes looked to me, and for a moment I could have sworn I saw surprise and shock. But a soft grin soon replaced any evidence as he moved to sit next to me.

"Good morning, Y/n."

"Good morning, Fumikage."

We stared at each other for a moment, and I felt something click deep inside. As if I had found an answer to an unspoken question. I shook it off as I grabbed his mug and handed it to him, a shock ringing through my fingertips as they brushed against his. I watched intently as I saw his eyes flick between the mug and me. "You made me coffee?" I felt warmth blossom in my cheeks at the smile that grew on him. "Thank you."