Gem Lore

The center of conflict in my story revolves around the appearance of gems around the globe. What began as a private research mission soon became a military affair. Various countries sent representatives to a covert operation when it was soon realized that these mysterious jewels could have powers, both benign and malignant depending on the type and how they were manipulated by natural events, or by human experimentation.

Nobody really understood where the gems came from, until scientists discovered a streamlined nebula in the night sky. It was normal by usual astronomical standards; a colorful birthplace of stars. However, further investigation showed an anomaly along the hairline of the nebula. This is where such unusual and powerful gems originate from. How the gems travel from space to Earth is another question entirely, and is another point that is not fully understood due to them seeming to just appear on the planet with no warnings.

The workers of the covert operation took note of how the local wildlife reacted to the gems. Some were avoided, some were taken by animals to their dens. Upon realizing that certain gems where harder to find, the facilities began to utilize dogs. They had determined that dogs could smell a specific taint when the gems were near, and more gems meant more money and production for the newly acclaimed Canis Warfare Project.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Gem Colors + Uses

💖Magenta ~ Is known to have healing properties when on their own. However, these have been shaped into daggers for battle before. While dealing damage, the healing effects seal wounds, but still leave gaping holes with a thin layer in the magenta color of the gem in organic bodies when used for attack purposes.

💚Lime Green ~ Relatively unknown usage. Like most other gems, it's safe to handle and can be manipulated into tools with welding. On a few rare occasions, animals have been spotted with physical mutations stemming from this color of gem, but no one has been able to recreate it in a controlled laboratory setting.

❤️Red ~ Acidic Corrosive. Not overly damaging to animals if there is some contact, but prolonged exposure and gem concentration will cause various levels of spreading erosion and damage. Sometimes even resulting in craters in the Earth's crust.

🤍💙Light Blue ~ Flesh eating. Will not harm earthen areas and plant life, but nothing in the animal kingdom can safely handle them without steel lined barriers.

💛Yellow ~ These are relatively soft gems in comparison to other color types. When in whole crystals, they are harmless. When formed into a powder or liquified, they can be a relatively strong sedative and be manipulated into poisonous substances.

💜Purple ~ On occasion, these have been known to have an effect on the weather in a given region when concentrated. For example ~ snow in low elevations on the island or neutralizing severe storms. Nicknamed "Mother Nature" gems.

💙Royal Blue ~ Relating to water, the deep blue gems are suggestive in their appearance. Sometimes, they may appear to have water ripples traveling through them, though this is merely a mirage. Their use in bodies of water is unknown, but one theory suggests they keep the areas they are found in clean and clear of pollution.

💚💙Teal ~ Stimulates Organic growth in desolate regions. A popular gem type for environmental studies as well as holding the eye of beings who desire the power of creation. Areas of the island and even the planet have been found to be extra lush in plant life when teal gems are near. No effects on animalian growth.

🧡Orange ~ Fire related. Neutral on its own, but if agitated, it may combust. Levels of combustion may be as small as a campfire or as large as an inferno. Can sometimes regulate itself back to a neutral state if left long enough or in serious cases, doused as per normal firefighting sources.

??? ~ Some gems remain elusive to life on the island and the world. Evidence of their existence has been found, and legends speak of extremely rare gems with super healing and even immortality powers within them. Despite the small collection of particles in the research labs, nobody has been able to get their hands (or paws) on full sized gem shards of this variety.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••