14| Midas Touch

A  F E W  H O U R S  B E F O R E  T H E  B A L L

''Ouch, careful there mother'' I say when mother undid a knot on my hair while languidly moving the spikes of the brush through my hair

''I am darling'' she says running her fingers through my locks, a small smile on her face as she looked at me through the huge mirror, she placed a quick kiss on my head.

''That hairstyle is so beautiful? I wish my hair was like yours mom'' I saw dropping my head backwards and touching the tender hair that grazed the soft skin of her shoulders, the silken gown of her body-hugging her curves perfectly.

''Tell that to your father, never quite understood, how you managed to inherit every curve and feature of him, every strand of this hair on your head is his, those blue eyes I am looking at, was the ones that I once fell in love with, now give me a smile'' she says, running her hands through the curve of my neck and gripping my shoulders softly.

I gave my mother a huge smile, something that made my face lighten up, digging my teeth into my lower lip.

''That's the one, that's one that could enchant a hundred women at once if it was on your father's face, unfortunately, one was me'' she teases braiding a few strands of my dark hair, twisting it, her warm eyes lightening up.

''You regretted being with dad?'' my voice went grave as I suddenly turned towards her, my eyes widening in horror. 

''Being with that jerk is the biggest regret in my life'' she whispers in my ears, taking all my hair in his hand, some of her auburn hair falling over her long lashes, the minimal makeup on her face making her look surreal. I can see what my father saw in her.

''Mom'' I whine, closing my eyes in submission ''Please tell me you're kidding''

''Of course, I am darling'' she started laughing, taking a few crystal clips from the side, pinning my hair softly ''If I had regretted that, you, Owen, Orabella wouldn't even be here, hmm'' she says gently her fingers moving through my hair artistically. 

''So you guys had sex?'' I ask bluntly, looking into her eyes innocently, I acted as if I knew nothing. 

It hurts not to tell my mother that I've slept with someone and lost my virginity, it feels like the lie just thrusts through your heart.

''What? From where did that come from Ophelia?'' my mother asks wide-eyed, unable to process what I just said.

''Just a random question, why can't I have sex?'' I ask, completely turning my chair towards my mother who looked at me with squinted eyes. 

''Child, do you even know what you're saying? Sex is beautiful if you know you're doing it with a person you know is the right one'' she explains ''And the first time is memorable with the right one, a person you know that you'll be with the rest of your life''