The tell

Y/n was sitting around doing nothing while she waited for Derek to return home from the "trip" he took with Scott. She was reading a book, when he heard Derek's car engine driving onto the property. She heard him get out of the car but there was someone with him she knew that from the second door closing, and another pair of footsteps. "You know I have a life too." She heard Scott say to Derek. She rolled her eyes already tired of the bickering pair. "No you don't." Derek said sighing turning around from his place on the stairs. Y/n got up to meet the bickering pair at the staircase, not saying anything. "Yes I do! I cont care what your saying about him making me his pet or wha-" at this y/n interrupted "part of his pack" she said correcting him. Scott and Derek both looked over to her acknowledging what she said, Scott rolled his eyes and sighed. "Whatever. I have homework to do. I have to go to a parent teacher conference tomorrow because I'm failing chemistry" he said. Y/n felt for the teenage boy, she knew what it was like to have to balance her life and the supernatural protector rank that fell on her shoulders. Derek impatiently switched feet putting his weight on his right foot "do you want to do homework? Or do you want to not die" he's sassed making y/n roll her eyes and sigh, making sure to make a mental note to talk to Derek about the way he was with these teenagers. "Look Scott you have less than a week until the full moon, if you don't kill with him, he kills you." Y/n said folding her arms.

Scott, now fed up with all of these rules shook his head "okay, seriously, who made up these rules?". "It's a rite if passage into his pack" Derek explained. "You know what else is a rite of passage? Graduating high school! And you don't have to kill anyone to do it!" He said, he wasn't wrong. "So if I help you, you guys can stop him?" He asked. Y/n shook he head "not by ourselves, we're stronger in numbers. A pack make the individual more powerful, and I can only do so much at the given time" she said going to stand in between the two and facing Scott. "How am I supposed to help you if I have no idea what I'm doing?" He asked defeated. "Because we're gonna teach you." Derek said. "You remember what happened that first night you were shot in the arm? Right after you were hit?" Derek asked stepping down beside me. "Yeah I changed back" scot said nodding. "And then you were hit by his car, same thing, right? What's the common denominator?" Derek asked grabbing and bending his wrist. Y/n wanted to stop him but Scott needed this. "What the hell are you doing?" Scott asked groaning in pain. "You'll heal" y/n said looking down at scott who was now on his knees in pain. "It still hurt" he said looking up at the couple. "And that's what keeps you human, pain" Derek said, watching as Scott healed. "Maybe you will survive" he said impressed, before walking up the stairs. Y/n sighed helping Scott up.

"Is he always that straight forward?" He asked. Y/n smiled "not always, he's been through a lot. I find it amazing that he's still able to care about the world when it's been nothing but awful to him." She replied with a quiet laugh. "Go home, get sleep, you've got school tomorrow." She said hugging him and sending him off. Y/n closed her eyes and sighed. She wanted to help everyone the best she could, but the problems never stopped. She made her way up the stairs to find where Derek went, she found him in the bathroom brushing his teeth for bed. She stood admiring the handsome man in front of her. Derek looked over at her through the mirror, "like the view?" He asked smirking "oh I love the view" she said somewhat sarcastic. Derek smiled and they both stood in silence, Derek continuing on his nightly routine. "Do you aver wish we weren't supernatural?" She asked. Derek stood straight and spurned around to talk to her face to face instead of through the mirror. "I used to, I like to think I'm saving lives. Protecting the little ones who don't know they're involved." He said. Y/n loved that about Derek, he always cared. No matter how much pain and grief he suffered, he always cared. She smiled and started on her night routine.

—-the next day——-

Y/n had decided to take the day off from school, opting to hang around Derek just for her to end up at school. "You know if I wanted be here I would have just came to school today" she muttered following Derek through the hallways of the school. " you didn't have to come" he sassed, and just by his tone she knew he was smiling. "Derek, I skipped school to spend the day with you" she said groaned. Derek stopped and turned around "how about this, after this, I'll spend the rest of today with you. No interruptions, promise." He said smiling. Y/n smiled looking up at the taller man "okay deal" she said. Derek leaned down and gave y/n a quick kiss before grabbing her hand and pulling her along.