chapter 1

I tied the red bandana around my head and picked at my hair a bit. Observing myself in the mirror, I noticed that I forgot one thing, my red lipstick. Leaning over into the mirror a bit I spread the pastel color across my soft lips. I popped my lips in accomplishment and scanned over my outfit one last time.

I was wearing a bleached out blue jeans and an oversized superman shirt; adding some blue vans. I pulled at one of the lose strands of hair that had sneakily fallen out of its place. I let out a sigh and turned to grab my brown leather over the shoulder bag. I picked up my ray bans off my marble topped night stand and my iPhone heading toward the door.

Making my way down our large marble staircase, I whistled ‘Natalie’ by Bruno Mars. My friend Lea had told me about it over twitter last night and added that, I quote, “you haven’t lived until you have heard this song.” So I listened to the song, and fell head over heels for it.

“Good morning Lyric!” My too cheerful mother kissed my cheek.

“Good morning Mom.” I faked a smile.

“I made you an egg and toast for breakfast, hun.” She clapped her hands together smiling widely.

“Oh, thanks Mom but I think I am just going to grab an apple or something.” I responded pulling the cold fruit from the fridge.

“It’s sunny side up, your favorite!” My mom shoulders dropped a frown appearing on her face.

“Sorry, I have to get to school early.”

“Why is that? You are not doing anything you aren’t supposed to, are you Lyric?” My Mom narrowed her eyes at me.

“No Mom, I am just going to help Lea out with last night’s homework.” I lied.

I hadn’t even finished my own homework, let alone look at it! What I really was going to do was talk to Luke. This amazingly sexy bad boy from our school and had currently moved here to New Jersey. He slipped me a wink during my second period yesterday sending me into an embarrassing red shade.

“Lyric!” My Mom snapped her fingers in front of my face.

“Oh, sorry.” I blinked.

“I said do you need a ride?” She repeated.

“Um, no I think I am going to just walk today. Thanks anyways Mom.”

“Are you sure sweetheart?”

I cringed at the names she called me, and headed toward the door grabbing my black leather jacket on the way. I turned to her and smiled.

“Positive.”

“Okay, have a nice day and be extra careful Lyric! There are really weird people out there.” She warned.

“I know.” I rolled my eyes.

I opened the door and met the warm sunny atmosphere. I pushed my ray bans over my eyes and stepped down the stairs. I pulled out my headphones and plugged them into my iPhone pushing play on the screen.

Immediately, ‘Natalie’ started playing sending a bright smile on my face. I shoved it into my inside coat pocket and walked slowly to school. I watched the ground past behind me as I walked toward the big high school down the road.

I let out a sigh as the hot sun burned the top of my head. My blonde hair would definitely not hide the sun burn. I began to speed up a bit when I heard a roaring of an engine. My head snapped toward the object and my eyes widened at the sight.

A black Range Rover heading my way and coming in at a slow pace. I turned my head back and picked up the pace not wanting to be kidnapped today. I kept my head down and gripped my jacket around my body. The black car crawled slowly beside me, my eyes moving to the side to watch it carefully.