⚡️ Chapter 22 ⚡️

The double attack on Justin and Nearly Headless Nick turned what had hitherto been nervousness into real panic. Curiously, it was Nearly Headless Nick's fate that seemed to worry people most. What could possibly do that to a ghost? people asked each other; what terrible power could harm someone who was already dead?

There was almost a stampede to book seats on the Hogwarts Express so that students could go home for Christmas.

"At this rate, we'll be the only ones left," Ron told Vega, Harry and Hermione. "Us, Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle. What a jolly holiday it's going to be,"

Crabbe and Goyle, who always did whatever Malfoy did, had signed up to stay over the holidays, too. However, Vega didn't care much about it. She just wanted the people to leave, and thus, she was grateful that most people were leaving the castle. She felt like Harry felt the same way now.

Vega's reputation was in tatters but she tried to keep her head up and straight. She was angry and frustrated, and she didn't care if people weren't meeting eyes with her anymore. She didn't care if people were skirting around her in the corridors, as though she was about to sprout fangs or spit poison. She ignored all the muttering, pointing, and hissing as she passed.

"I don't know how you deal with this, Vega," said Harry one day. He was going through something very similar now and was extremely exhausted by this behaviour. "I'm on the edge of my nerves!"

"I don't know either," Vega replied quietly, ignoring as another group of first-years yelped at the sight of them and scurried off into the nearby corridor. "But you better get used to it for now,"

Fred and George, however, found all this very funny. They went out of their way to march ahead of Vega and Harry down the corridors, shouting, "Make way for the Heirs of Slytherin, seriously evil wizard and witch coming through...!"

Percy was deeply disapproving of this behaviour.

"It is not a laughing matter," Percy said coldly.

"Oh, get out of the way, Percy," Fred retorted. "Vega and Harry are in a hurry,"

"Yeah, they're off to the Chamber of Secrets for a cup of tea with their fanged servant," George elaborated, chortling.

Ginny didn't find it amusing either.

"Oh, don't," Ginny wailed every time Fred asked Vega or Harry loudly who they were planning to attack next, or when George pretended to ward Vega and Harry off with a large clove of garlic when they met.

Quite honestly, neither Vega nor Harry minded this behaviour. Actually, it made Vega feel better that Fred and George, at least, thought the idea of her being Slytherin's heir was quite ludicrous.

But their antics seemed to be aggravating Draco Malfoy, who looked increasingly sour each time he saw them at it. Especially when it had to do with Vega – which made no sense to her.

"I wonder why he's so bothered," Vega spoke up distastefully but quietly as she glanced at her cousin. "You would expect he'd love that I'm getting ridiculed by the entire school,"

"It's because he's bursting to say it's really him," Ron said knowingly. "You know how he hates anyone beating him at anything, and you're getting all the credit for his dirty work,"

"Not for long," Hermione said in a satisfied tone. "The Polyjuice Potion's nearly ready. We'll be getting the truth out of him any day now,"

"Looks like he isn't wanted at home either, to be staying at Hogwarts for Christmas," Vega mumbled, stabbing her steak and taking a bite. "At least Harry and I have to go hunt Muggle-Borns,"