⚡️ Chapter 27 ⚡️

Before Vega realised it, nearly four months had passed since Justin and Nearly Headless Nick had been Petrified, and nearly everybody seemed to think that the attacker, whoever it was, had retired for good. Vega reminded this to Harry and Ron, telling them that Hagrid must not be behind this.

Peeves had finally got bored of his songs ridiculing Vega and Harry, and even Ernie Macmillan had asked Harry quite politely to pass a bucket of leaping toadstools in Herbology one day.

Of course, people hadn't quite warmed down to Vega again but she was glad to see that they weren't making rumours about her anymore.

Finally, in March, several of the Mandrakes threw a loud and raucous party in greenhouse three. This made Professor Sprout very happy.

"The moment they start trying to move into each other's pots, we'll know they're fully mature," Professor Sprout told Vega. "Then we'll be able to revive those poor people in the hospital wing,"

The second years were given something new to think about during their Easter holidays. The time had come to choose their subjects for the third year, a matter that Hermione, at least, took very seriously.

"... it could affect our whole future," Hermione told Vega, Harry and Ron as they pored over lists of new subjects, marking them with checks.

"I just want to give up Potions," Harry spoke up.

"We can't," Ron said gloomily. "We keep all our old subjects, or I would have ditched Defence Against the Dark Arts,"

"But that's very important!" Hermione said, shocked at their thinking.

"Not the way Lockhart teaches it," Ron said. "I haven't learned anything from him except not to set pixies loose,"

"Defence Against the Dark Arts really is very important," Vega said quietly as she messed around her a strand of her hair. "But I still wish we had a better teacher..."

Neville Longbottom had been sent letters from all the witches and wizards in his family, all giving him different advice on what to choose. Confused and worried, he sat reading the subject lists with his tongue poking out, asking people whether they thought Arithmancy sounded more difficult than the study of Ancient Runes.

Maybe he had forgotten or maybe he had forgiven her for the rumours flying around, but Neville even ended up coming to where Vega was and asked her for her opinion since she was a topper.

Dean Thomas, who, like Harry, had grown up with Muggles, ended up closing his eyes and jabbing his wand at the list, then picking the subjects it landed on. Hermione, on the other hand, saw Vega checking off her subjects and ended up signing up for everything as well.

Percy Weasley was eager to share his experience.

"Depends where you want to go," Percy said. "It's never too early to think about the future, so I'd recommend Divination. People say Muggle Studies is a soft option, but I personally think wizards should have a thorough understanding of the non-magical community, particularly if they're thinking of working in close contact with them – look at my father, he has to deal with Muggle business all the time. My brother Charlie was always more of an outdoor type, so he went for Care of Magical Creatures. Play to your strengths,"

But Vega was conflicted on whether she wanted to become an Auror or a Magizoologist. She was still too young to decide but she was sure she would be able to manage this.

That could be dealt with later – right now, Vega had to focus on the upcoming Quidditch match.

Gryffindor's next Quidditch match would be against Hufflepuff. Wood was insisting on team practices every night after dinner, so that Vega barely had time for anything but Quidditch and homework.