2016: Saturday, Part Three

2016, DAY TWO
Saturday, August 14, 2016 1:06 PM

"Oh!" Soobin says in surprise, keeping one arm around Taehyun and shaking Namjoon's hand with the other. "Good day!"

"I was hoping to catch you before you left the stage," Namjoon says in English. He's dressed for the event, with a purple polo on with a Bangtan logo embroidered on the one side and nice jeans paired with Converse highs. "I came to watch the show, and I really enjoyed it. I thought we could take a moment in a bit and talk about some ideas I had? We've never really worked with an EDM artist before, but I think your music could be of some use to Bangtan. Of course, there would be money involved."

Soobin nods, then points to Taehyun. "He handles most of the money business. We had to reorganize everything with this concert since I can't make outside money on my visa."

"Ahh, I think we can work on that." Namjoon's eyes trail over, behind Soobin. "Were you expecting somebody?"

And Soobin turns, and there is Choi Donghoon, who looks like he has just left his hotel. His spotless slacks and dress shirt do not look like they have just spent the last hour jumping up and down in the grass. If he watched the show, it was from afar, somewhere clean. Perhaps he was watching from near-backstage this entire time.

"Hello, appa," Soobin says, switching back to Korean.

His grip on Taehyun tightens.

Namjoon takes a step forward, towards the older Choi, and gives him a full 90-degree bow. "If you'll excuse me," he says, also switching to Korean. "I was just about to speak with this man about a business deal. But it appears that you have more important business with him."

At the mention of business deal, Donghoon eyes Soobin. What is with his son and getting all these business deals? "I am Choi Donghoon," he says, "and I am this man's father." He produces a business card and hands it to Namjoon, with both hands.

Namjoon looks over the card once he accepts it. "Ahh, yes, I know this name. I am Kim Namjoon," he says, pulling his own business card from his pocket and handing it to Choi Donghoon with both hands. "Son of Kim Yongchul."

The card Namjoon hands to Soobin's father does not have the Bangtan logo on it. Rather, it is a silver logo, written in simple Korean, and Donghoon's eyes widen. "Your father is the CEO of Baepsae?" And Soobin now has to do a double take; Baepsae is a well known Korean electronics company, on the same level as Samsung. If Namjoon's father is in charge of such a big company, then Namjoon is his heir.

What is Namjoon doing in America, making art, when he has important chaebol heir business to attend to?

Taehyun, meanwhile, is still caught in the middle. Everybody is talking in Korean, and not only that, but very fancy business Korean, and he can barely grasp a word of it. He feels caught in between a rock and a hard place, and he doesn't know why Namjoon from Bangtan is here, and he's lost.

"Hey. Hey, bro."

Taehyun turns toward where the voice is coming from. Yeonjun is in front of the stage, in the now-empty crowd area. "Come on, bro, get out of there." And it's the first instruction Taehyun has received that he can understand. He pulls himself away from Soobin, squeezing his hand before jumping off the stage. Both Yeonjun and Taehyun then run along the stage, toward backstage and safety.

Soobin watches them go; if Taehyun is safe with Yeonjun, then he can focus on the conversation at hand. "What are you doing here?" he asks his father.

"Your friend needs to leave," Donghoon says, nodding towards Namjoon. "This is between you and me."