Pudge

(still the same day)

Upon walking across the bridge to the smoking hole River noticed the sound of a new voice, which was weird because throughout all their years at Culver her group had never really added any members, not that anyone was begging to join. Thinking about this for a second River quickened her pace to see who it was. Walking down the steps River came face to face with The Colonel and a choking Miles. Although Miles didn't seem like much River didn't let this deflate her spirit. She knew that there had to be more to this kid if he had impressed the Colonel and Takumi enough to stay.

Miles looked at her, still recovering from his coughing fit, in surprise. He was relieved when she said nothing and just smiled. She stared at him right in the eyes, his blue mixing with her green. Seeing as she said nothing Miles introduced himself.

"Hey i'm Miles." he said timidly as he extended his hand toward her. She then looked down and smiled at his hand before taking it into her own. She had a solid handshake and her palms weren't sweaty like his. "I'm River." she responded tilting her head to the side in an amused way. "You can call me Riv." She then reached for the cigarette from her pocket, laid it in her mouth, and lit it between her pink plump lips. Once the tip burned a light orange and she took a drag she turned her attention from Miles to the other person with them.

River stood silently facing the Colonel maintaining eye-contact,  both with stone-cold expressions, not wanting to be the first one to break the face-off

River stood silently facing the Colonel maintaining eye-contact, both with stone-cold expressions, not wanting to be the first one to break the face-off. This had been a thing that she and the Colonel did every year. It was intense but after about 10 seconds River conceded, smiled, and ran to tightly hugged the Colonel. Miles noted that their reunion wasn't nearly as enthusiastic and childish as the one he witnessed with Alaska but he also noted that River was nothing like Alaska. She had the same mysterious side but she was quieter and that made it seem like every move she made had a whole other, exponentially larger meaning behind it. He was deeply struck by her presence, the fact that she did nothing but still intimidated him beyond belief. The hug between Riv and the Colonel appeared to be full of love, even to a newcomer like Miles, and they took a second to take it all in before they parted.

"So Miles what can i expect from you? I mean there must be something about you for the Colonel to take you under his wing." River asked in an airy tone, looking straight at Miles. Another thing to know about River is that she always held eye contact with people and she enjoyed seeing them squirm under her intimidating gaze.

Miles looked to The Colonel for help but was met with the reality that it was his time to fly and the Colonel just kicked him off the perch. Miles weakly laughed trying to find a spot to focus his eyes on.

"Miles knows peoples final words" the Colonel responded for Miles after his many sad and failed attempts at speaking.

"oh cool."