Chapter 10

Cold sweat ran through my back when I saw the enemy before me. Just looking at its dark figure already sends shivers down my spine, and enough to make me nervous. Who was the enemy before me? The answer is quite simple.

It was as if I was looking at a mirror, except the one that's reflecting me is dark and full of hatred. Tell me. You wouldn't want someone that looks like you, glare at you with its entire existence, as if its purpose is to resent you.

That's right, the person in front of me is nothing but me. It was as if all of my hatred manifested.

I readied my sword.

The next instant I moved my feet ever so slightly, he was already behind me. My mouth instantly dried out, and with all my might, I yelled at my body to move itself internally.

His blade made its way to my neck, but I successfully parried it with Masamune, albeit barely. Even though I parried his attack, I was sent flying into the air because of the strength of his attack. I then quickly balanced my self and broke my fall. I was at a fair distance away from him.

When I landed, he was already in front of me with his blade already making its way to me. I anticipated that he would attack me again, but not this quick.

I quickly parried his attack, and yet again, the strength of his attacks are powerful. But this time, I parried with the same amount of strength he pours on his attacks and the steel made a shockwave once it clashed.

It continued on like this for a while. I would get blown off or I would parry successfully without getting blown away. Though, there are times I was close to defeating him.

It seems like this darkened me was specifically made to defeat me, and whenever I'm close to defeating it; it would instantly adapt, and thwart my plans. Not only that, but I think he gets stronger every time he thwarts my plans, and he even uses it against me.

I knew I was gonna lose, since I was running out of tricks. Plus, I can't use the elements at all, and I don't know the reason for it.

"Why...?" When I was pondering about what to do, the darkened me spoke, his voice full of sorrow. "Why... are you trying to abandon me...?"

"Abandon you?" I was genuinely confused.

"All throughout the years... you have suffered. You lost your father, your caretaker Akio, the Tsugami and Shinobi Village. On top of that, you found out that you were just Murasame Kenji's backup. So why do you reject me? The hatred and pain that you cultivated throughout the years you lived through, the one who has been with you from the start. Why?" He was angry and sad at the same time, and he looked like he was suffering a whole lot.

But the answer to his question... I don't have an answer, no, more like I can't think of one.

"Silence, huh...? Then just die!" He instantly got up on my face with an overhead slash, and I knew I wouldn't be able to block the attack.

Dammit! Why was I lost in thought?! If only I had focused, this wouldn't be happening!

His blade got closer and closer, so I closed my eyes and accepted my fate, because I knew, no one would save me, even if I begged with all of my might.

The blade was slowly digging into my skin, and I knew this was the end...

...

...

A sound of steel clashing resounded, and I heard someone grunt in front of me.

I slowly opened my eyes, and the first thing my eyes met was a familiar blonde hair. It looked like she was struggling to deflect the attack.