Chapter Two

[Picture of Caleb above]

Caleb's POV

It's funny actually, that in the face of oppression, we all believe we'll be the person to rebel, to fight, to stand on the front line with a weapon in hand. The person that never backs down and fights for what they believe in. Willing to die if it means our will is never bent. I always believed that I would be that person. Yet, now I'm standing here, with a hustling and chatter in the air as I pour cocktails and premium alcohol for the same people who kicked me to the ground like vermin. The undeniable bubbling rage inside me goes unknown to the scum around me as I mask it with an exterior that is cool, calm, and collected.

The Alphas and Betas sit around, drinks in hand served to them by the slim brunette, whose name I have yet to discover, whilst their chatter fills the air to sustain the buzz of the atmosphere. To a careful eye, you'd see how their hands linger on the brunette's body, their seductive smiles as they gaze up at him. The only ideal to this situation is that it's not me in his position. I would have broken every fucking bone in their bodies by now. If there's one thing about me, I don't like to be touched, and I fucking hate Alphas.

Instead, I'm trapped in the confines of the bar, its cold structure caging me like I'm a wild animal prepared to maul everyone in sight. I can be grateful that its sleek wood, to some degree, keeps me away from the Alphas, what with their scent being potent and overwhelming. The smell of Alpha blood is tantalising, it makes my mouth water at even a whiff, and so, being suffocated by the drowning stench has me desperate for a taste.

When the door clicks open, an eerie silence fills the room. Alphas bow their heads to a figure I'm unable to see, an unusual action for an Alpha, to bow to another. He's enclosed by Beta guards who protect him like he's a prized asset, filling me with frustration as my curiosity begs to unveil the person behind the walls of their bodies. Their approach to the bar is agonisingly slow, which in itself is an unusual action as the upper-class desire every person in slight to wait on them with their dying breath.

With their steps getting closer, the Beta in front of him moves to the side and reveals the most angelic figure I've laid eyes upon. He's tall with a tanned complexion, his hair is dark and his features are strong and muscular. There's stubble, the same dark shade as his hair, that caresses his sharp jaw and around his soft pink lips that have me aching for their touch. Such a beautiful face almost had me distracted from the thick black markings across his body. Almost.

 Almost