Prologue

Date: 30th of January1933

Time: 17:15

6 years before...

"Here. Take this and remember. Get what you need then leave." He said sternly, resting a cigarette between his lips. His eyes were almost concealed below his hat. Dark bags had begun to form below his eyes. The weight of his business hanging from his back. Legitimate and illegitimate.

"How will I know if I've found it?" She sighed, placing the revolver he'd handed to her in a sparkly evening bag. Her features were almost delicate if it wasn't for her cheekbones. She also took out a cigarette, signaling for the man to share his lighter. She stared blankly at him, watching as he exhaled the smoke before giving a response.

"Trust me Rose. You'll know." He said, nodding his head towards the boat that was pulling into the docks.

"How can you be so sure?" She frowned as two men tied the boat up before joining them.

"Because you're a Shelby. We always know." He said coldly before taking another drag of his cigarette. "Oh and Rose? Be careful. I don't fancy having to tell Arthur that the youngest of the Shelby's has had an unfortunate accident."

"I'm always careful Thomas. That's why you send me when there's powerful men involved." She rolled her eyes before throwing the cigarette down and stamping it out.

"Curley and Charlie will ensure you get to Camden Town safely. You're booked into The Ritz Hotel for a couple of nights. If you need longer, call Finn's office." He said before disappearing into the Birmingham smog.

"Okay then boys, take me aboard." She said, pulling her fur coat further round her shoulders before being guided onto her barge. "I should get some rest."

"Yes Miss Rosalyn. This way." Curley says, leading her down to the living quarters. "There's a bed just through that curtain for you, and cupboards are stocked with Whiskey and Gin."

"Thank you Curley." She said, her face emotionless. She dumped her coat over one of the chairs and began helping herself to a glass of straight Gin. It clung to the glass and despite the burning at the back of her throat, it went down surprisingly smoothly. Perhaps it was nerves. She set up her desk and began making notes in her notebook. The thought of resting nothing more than a distant memory. Reading through the list of names Thomas had given to her. The news had come in this morning that Adolf Hitler had been appointed as the Chancellor of Germany. The talk of town was that of concern. They'd heard enough tales of Mr. Hitler to make a graveyard seem like a suitable holiday vacation.

She stayed up all night trying to figure out a plan. Shelby Company Ltd had been in talks to start selling weapons. The problem was the arising tensions between some countries. Just two years ago Japan had invaded Manchuria and it was rumoured that the Germans were interested in taking some land. Thomas had warned Rose "Tension regarding the Germans is still high, considering the four years of combat just twenty years ago". He told her; "Under no circumstances are you to sell to countries we have no allegiance to. There are spies everywhere, so look for ulterior motives. At the end of the day our company wants to protect our own, not hand out the weapons for our enemies to fire". Eventually, her exhaustion got the better of her and she headed down for the night, a brand new plan in place for her arrival in Camden Town.

Date: 3rd of February 1933

Time: 19:27