Free At Last

Anime/Manga » Ghost Hunt » The Forest of Blood and Snow

Author: RosetheWolfgirl

Rated: K+ - English - Horror/Romance - Reviews: 76 - Published: 06-26-13 - Updated: 08-07-14 id:9429484

Well this is it! The last chapter to my most popular story.

"MAIIII!"

Just as Naru was calm enough to think about calling Lin to bring Mai back after their fight, his phone began to ring. He glared at it. Picking it up and hitting a button, he answered it.

Mai ran as fast as she could towards Asuna.

"I know Lin and Naru are going to kill me, but I have to end this now!" Mai panted. She was so close to Asuna that she could make out the smudges on Asuna's gown but then the heavy snow blocked her view. The blizzard was coming and Mai was caught in the middle. She continued to run straight toward the blurred figure, jumping over fallen trees and going deeper into the forest. She found herself falling as she tripped over a branch hidden in the snow and fell on her face. She pushed herself off of the snow and turned around to see what she tripped over. She gasped in fear and her eyes widened. An arm was sticking out of the snow, still in the process of decay, frozen to the snow.

Mai backed away in fear and gasped as a shovel hit the snow in front of her feet. She looked up and wished she had just stayed in the van. Blood and snow dotted her face as she stared in horror of the figure behind her.

His face had rotted away as shrunk to the bone; he was missing both of his eyes and just empty sockets glared down at her. His red flannel shirt was torn away with tears and blood stains were spattered on what was left of his shirt. The snow hit him and melted away. When he opened his mouth, which was missing the lower jaw, blood dripped down on the snow and on Mai as he made a horrible gurgling noise. Blood bubbled where some of his lips would be. Mai backed away from him and whimpered in fear. He lifted up his shovel with both hands and brought it down. Mai managed to roll away and she got up to run but the shovel swung sideways and got her on the rib.

Pain engulfed Mai as she fell on her side, she heard footsteps getting closer and she heard a distorted grunt. She dodged to her left as the shovel hit where she once seconds ago. She turned towards the man and shouted the incantations that Monk and Ayako taught her at the spirit. His image wavered and fell to his knees but used the shovel to pull himself back up. She managed to break into a run, holding on to her injured side. It felt sticky and she started to add more pressure to it as she ran. She finally started to scream.

"SOMEONE PLEASE HELP MEEEEEEEEEEEE!" She screamed and it echoed through the forest. She stopped as a figure with a shovel stepped out behind the tree in front of her. The shovel swung to the side and hit her on the side of her head. Her vision became blurry and she fell on the snow. She groggily looked at the figure above her. She tilted her head to the side and saw a hallow tree with something stuck on one of the lower branches.

A pink glove. Asuna's pink glove.

She reached up to grab it when she felt the shovel make contact with her legs and her stomach repeatedly. She gasped in pain and she ripped the glove from the branch and held it out at the figure.

"HERE SHE IS...HERE IS YOUR BELOVED DAUGHTER! THIS IS WHERE SHE DIED!" Mai gasped heavily and coughed violently. She dug in the spot of the hallowed tree and saw another pink glove. It was attached to a frozen dead child. Asuna.

Asuna's father dropped the shovel in the snow and it landed on Mai's leg with a 'thud.' His image wavered and he reached out to it with his bone fleshed hands as it shook slowly. His fingers wrapped around the tiny pink glove and he held it tight. His bloody mouth opened up slowly and closed. He looked at the body that was uncovered from Mai.