Chapter 6

Special mention to . Thanks for the support bestie!!!!

The fire lit their camp brightly as it gently flickered. Pieces of embers from the coals glowed a bright orange from under the flames. Around the said fire were the four royals who were all hungrily munching on their dinner.

They had come across some rabbits during their trek and luckily for them, Johanne was not too shabby with a bow and arrow. However, the savory taste of the meat and the warmth of the flames were dampened by the tension and the awkward silence that filled the air.

Luca chewed his food slowly, one of his hands on the rabbit leg while the other rested on the handle of his sword. The same went for both Idris and Cairo as they kept their weapons close while they ate. Johanne was the only one who seemed to be at peace as she ate, if not a bit disgusted by the meal itself.

Finally, Idris had had enough of it. With a loud sigh, he tossed the clean bone from his hand and stood. Cairo and Luca tensed even further as they moved to unsheath their weapons.

Idris held up his hands before he could. "Be calm. I'm only stretching."

Cairo narrowed her eyes but relaxed after some time. Luca did not move however his hand was still on his sword.

"There is a town within a few leagues from where we are," Idris said as he held the map. Cairo had let him read it as the young sea prince had more experience reading those types of things than she did. She watched him intently while he did.

"And the people there?" Cairo asked. "What kingdom do they hail from."

Idris shook his head. "I would not expect any of our people here. This is one of the lands that remain neutral," he said as he pointed to a spot on the map that was not within the borders of any of their kingdoms.

Luca nodded, understanding what the Sea Prince meant. "Aye. My father has tried speaking with the thane who rules there but the man would not speak to him."

"And why does your father want to speak with this thane?" Cairo asked with an eyebrow raised.

Luca turned to face the princess. "Because it lies at the center of our lands. Not only is it a strategic point for anyone who takes it but it would serve as a checkpoint."

"Then why does he not just raid it if he wants it so badly?" Idris asked, smirking as he insulted the other prince indirectly.

Luca narrowed his eyes at the larger man. "Because we are not the barbarians that you believe we are to be. My father values the freedom of others just as he values his own."

"Enough with the arguments," Johanne said, rising from the ground, her hands clasped together. "If these people do not side with any of our kingdoms, then it should be an easy path to the forest."

Cairo chuckled along with Luca and Idris at her words.

"Why do you laugh?" Johanne asked, her eyebrows knitted in confusion.

"Forgive me, but you are naive, princess," Cairo said, still smiling. "The world is a much darker place than your thoughts. The people will hate us for who we are; Children of the kings who brought this land to war."

Luca and Idris nodded. "She is right," Luca said. "Which is why we are to drop whatever jewelry we have and use them to trade for supplies."

"We stay a night at most before making our way to the forest," Idris said. "Once we reach the cursed forest, that is where our real troubles begin."

"We should get some rest," Cairo said. "I'll take first watch."

Luca lifted his eyebrow. Cairo spotted this and shook her head, rolling her eyes as she did. "Do not fret, prince. I will not slit your throat while you sleep. I'd rather face you while you are awake so you feel my spear through your heart."