My Spirit Animal

“That bear with the marshmallows in its mouth is my spirit animal.” I said lying on the sofa with my feet up in the air. “Oh no…wait. That bear that’s almost drowning and is really oblivious is my spirit animal.”

“You have been saying that for the last 10 minutes. Let’s just say that everything in this movie is your spirit animal, or I swear you will not live to see another day.”

“Wow! Nice way to welcome me into your house. You do realise that I am staying here until the end of… time.” I say, my hands flailing wildly in the air to emphasise my point. “You should know that once I’m here I don’t leave. I’m like a sloth, I eat all day when I’m not sleeping and most importantly, I don’t move. ”

“I’m already regretting saying yes to you living in my house.”

“Firstly, it’s your mum’s house and secondly you know you love me.” I say as I ruffle my cousin’s hair. “Anyway, I’m on my way to get more popcorn so you’re gonna have to like me if you don’t want to die from starvation.”

He gives me a pointed look and carries on watching the movie; he knows that I will give him the popcorn anyway. If I didn’t he would probably wrestle me to the ground and due to the fact that he has a six pack and is quite a bit stronger than me I think I already know who’s going to win. I would definitely place my bets on the guy with the muscles against the girl with probable drool down her top.

Stepping into the kitchen I do a weird skip-hop to avoid my body heat being lost to the marble floor beneath me. Grabbing the popcorn bag I fill the bowl up to the top before grabbing as much in my hands and stuffing it in my face. Hopping back to Josh I crash onto the sofa and resume watching the film.

-

-

-

“Have you seen your room yet or did you literally just come into my house and watch a movie after an 11 hour flight?” my aunt asks.

“Um…well…maybe.” I say with slight fear etched into my face. My aunt can be a scary person when she wants to be.

“Seriously?” she asks both me and Josh as we hesitantly nod our heads.

She looks at both of us before a massive smile hatches onto her face and I hear her trademark laugh (I even thought I heard some snorting in there).

“Emily, you never fail to crack me up.” She says as I start laughing with her, relief on my face. Then she grabs me and pulls me into the tightest hug before releasing me. “It’s good to see you. Now let’s get you into your room, you must be exhausted.”

“Well I wasn’t when I first came here but to be honest just speaking to Josh was pretty tiring. He can be quite annoying sometimes.” I say, a smile etched onto my face as Josh starts telling his Mum how annoying I am and to never watch the Lorax with her or she will hear all about my spirit animals.

Walking up the stairs my aunt tells me that my room is right by the stairs on the left and leaves me to settle down. After failing to open my door and then realising that you had to push and not pull I entered my new room. The walls were opposites: the wall with the door in and the opposite one to that were a turquoise colour and the other two were a creamy colour. It looked really bright and lovely. My bed had been delivered along with all my furniture from England and although nothing really had a place I threw my bag onto the floor and slumped onto my bed, not even bothering to brush my teeth.

All in all, I have to say my first day in L.A. wasn’t that bad.

*************

So, hi! This is my first book that I actually care about I suppose and I hope that people will read it. This is just kinda a starter chapter, and I’m not going to go into a spiel about how it will get better because I would hope that would be kinda obvious! J

Hope that you enjoy and any tips or comments (or maybe even votes) would be greatly appreciated! J

Thanks and have a nice day