Chapter One: The New Commander

Espresso's POV:

"That will be $3, sir."

The cashier looked much too happy for my taste.

I don't buy espresso often, as I usually make it myself at home, but today I thought I'd try something new. Apparently, new things don't like me.

I gingerly took the cup the cheerful cashier handed me, wondering if it would be affected by the cookie's happiness. The coffee tasted surprisingly okay, but I would've added less sugar. I took a small sip and through the corners of my eyes, saw the large crowd that had gathered near the center of the market. I'd heard from my sister, Latte, that some cookie had been recently made commander. It must be a popular cookie, if so many cookies came to congratulate them.

I scoffed quietly to myself and continued slowly drinking my coffee.

~~~

Madeleine's POV:

Some tea would be nice. I had spent the last hour talking with lots of cookies. I'd had the time of my life of course—I'd never miss the opportunity to socialize—but even a great commander like me had his limits.

Most of the cookies had left, a perfect time to have some tea and relax. I turned to the most empty drinks stall I could find, a small tent with only one customer, a cookie with brown hair and a strong coffee aroma. 

I was unexpectedly mesmerized by him. He was turned his head slightly towards me and I caught sight of his face. My heart skipped a beat, but I forced my eyes away and scolded myself, confused on what I was thinking. I tried to ignore the handsome cookie as I walked up to the counter and paid for a tea.

~~~

Espresso's POV:

I sipped my coffee as the new cookie, presumably the knight commander from the way he was dressed, ordered a tea.

Right off the bat I decided I'd ignore them. I, as an espresso drinker, had no time in my life for cookie's who prefer tea.

But the knight, apparently, had other ideas.

"Hello, fellow citizen!" The cookie pulled out the chair opposite me and sat down, smiling.

I noticed the cashier looked startled at the cookie's loud voice. Frankly, I was just as startled, but I did not show it. Deciding he'd go away if I ignored them, I did just that. I finished my coffee quickly and stood up.

"Wait!" The cookie, for some reason, grabbed my sleeve. "Could I have your name?"

I sighed and looked at him for the first time.

I was surprised at how good-looking he was, and I almost stared too long. "Espresso." I said briskly, pulling out of his grip and leaving as quickly as possible.