9.

Ares grinned and took off his shades

Ares grinned and took off his shades. Where his eyes should've been, there was only fire, empty sockets glowing with miniature nuclear explosions. Annabeth stiffened beside the god, and Grover whimpered quietly.

"That's right, punk. I heard you broke Clarisse's spear," Ares said, leaning back in the booth.

"She was asking for it," Percy replied, defensively. The elbow he got in the side that time was significantly more aggressive than the first, drawing Ares attention to the spitfire beside Percy.

"Rosalyn Carter," he smirked. "You're friends with Clarisse."

"Yes, Lord Ares, I am."

Ares eyed her for a moment, before sending an unimpressed look at Percy. "What I'm here for-I heard you were in town. I need you to do me a favor."

"What favor could I do for a god?" Percy asked sarcastically.

"Not you," Ares and Rosalyn sighed at the same time.

"I left my shield at an abandoned water park here in town. I was going on a little date with my girlfriend, and we were interrupted. I left my shield behind. I want you to fetch it for me."

Before Rosalyn could respond, Percy snapped, "Why don't you go back and get it yourself?"

The fire in Ares' eye sockets glowed a little hotter as he growled, "Why don't I turn you into a prairie dog and run you over with my Harley? Because I don't feel like it. Too much of a coward, Percy Jackson?" He leaned forward. "Or maybe you only fight when there's a river to dive into, so your daddy can protect you."

Rosie grabbed Percy's forearm tightly under the table and dug her fingernails into the skin, warning him to keep his mouth shut.

"We've already got a quest," Rosalyn said evenly, her face betraying nothing. She ignored the daggers Annabeth was shooting her across the table.

"I know all about your quest. When that item was first stolen, Zeus sent his best out looking for it: Apollo, Athena, Artemis, and me, naturally. If I couldn't sniff out a weapon that powerful..." Ares shrugged. "I respect your courage, kid, but you're wasting your time with this crew."

Rosalyn's poker face slipped slightly, and she looked away from the god. Her gaze was trained on the table in from of her now.

The god grinned, "And you agree."

Ares chuckled smugly when Rosie didn't contradict him. "I get it, girl. This is right up your alley, but you gotta pick your battles."

"I'm picking this one."

"I'll tell you what. Get my shield, and I'll arrange a ride west for you and your friends," Ares bargained. "And I'll tell you something you need to know about his mom."

"My mom?" Percy interrupted, tensing up.

Rosie closed her eyes and let out a defeated breath, knowing the choice was made right then.

"The water park is a mile west on Delancy. You can't miss it. Look for the Tunnel of Love ride."

"What interrupted your date?" Percy asked. "Something scare you off?"

Ares bared his teeth, "You're lucky you met me, punk, and not one of the other Olympians. They're not as forgiving of rudeness as I am."

He stood from the booth just as the waitress arrived with all kinds of food. He met Rosalyn's eye and said, "I'll meet you back here when you're done. Don't disappoint me."

Then he was gone.

Rosie grabbed the bottle of ketchup off the table and squirted some onto her plate. She froze with a french fry halfway to her mouth when she noticed all three of her companions were staring at her with three very different expressions.

Grover looked frightened. Annabeth wore an expression of angry disbelief, which was no surprise. Percy simply looked annoyed and confused.

"Why did Ares seek you out?" Annabeth hissed.

"Eat," Rosie deadpanned, ignoring the question.

Grover didn't need anymore prompting, choosing to stifle his anxiety with food. Percy pushed his plate away and turned his body to face Rosalyn completely.

"Why does he need us to get the shield?" Percy asked.

Silence filled the booth. Rosalyn had elected to ignore them for the rest of her meal.

Ares asked a favor from her in return for valuable assistance on their quest. She knew that the right thing to do was get the shield, with or without her companions.

"Maybe it's a problem that requires brains," Annabeth said. "Ares has strength. That's all he has. Even strength has to bow to wisdom sometimes."

Still not speaking, Rosalyn snorted into her Diet Coke.

"But this water park... he acted almost scared. What would make a war god run away like that?" Percy questioned.

"Eat," Rosie warned. "You don't know when we'll have the opportunity again."

Annabeth crossed her arms and scowled at the ginger girl, snapping, "Who put you in charge? This is Percy's quest."

Rosalyn smiled condescendingly at Annabeth, finishing off her fries.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Did Ares come here to give any of you a personal task?" Rosie pouted sarcastically. "I didn't think so. When you're finished, we'll head for the water park."

Grover was trembling slightly in fear.

"But what was he afraid of?" Percy asked again.

"We're about to find out."