Prologue

When you feel the butterflies in your stomach or when you smile from ear to ear just by the thought of that someone, it is love, right? I questioned my classmates about this, this “love“happening around high school: What is it like? Can you define it? How did you feel? Answers were either ‘I don’t know’ or the famous “butterflies in your stomach”.

What interests me about this “love” in high school is that no matter how firm I am to believe that a) it couldn’t happen, b) it couldn’t be real in this stage of high school or  c) love doesn’t blossom around excessive hormonal teenagers, still the love craze goes on. There are plenty of desperate seniors out in my high school wanting to have their own relationships. Some sprung out through texts or chat messages and dare I say it, infatuation.

What is this? It’s... the sensation of being attracted to someone who physically appeals to your standards of attractiveness. Like say, seeing that cute guy by the lockers who have toned abs and is able to give you that tingly feeling inside, thinking that it is love at first sight...LOVE? Infatuation can be horribly and undoubtedly be mistaken for love. As it has the same symptoms (as if it was some kind of disease), butterflies in your stomach, non-stop thoughts about that person, am I right? that is all brought down to the path of love. How can I tell the difference? I don’t know how but I know deep down my soul, it is far different especially in high school.

Please allow me to slap my seat mate, Kristel, right on her face for being so clumsy in “falling in love” with Louis’…and his incredibly toned body. She can go on and on about her imaginations of Louis being topless at school, on the field (as he is a football player), at some park etc. Please. Please allow me. Maybe I should make a petition. Or run a club that allows me to slap delusional people. Love? Pfft.

 The problem is, my batch mates can easily smoothly sail those three sweet words to someone maybe because they’re hot…and mostly that. Do believe me because I can see through my trustworthy sources, my classmates, that the people they claim to “love” romantically are hot people! Hot people like the beach babe Shayne, the “jockster” Ivan, the classic hot Gabriel and so on. What can I do?

Love in high school became this sick obsession, a twisted arrow of Cupid and a huge, huge misconception of what love truly is. Okay, maybe I have introduced myself as this bitter girl who cares too much of others relationship, well, I didn’t mean to but I am no bitter. It’s just that I aim to protect the meaning of love because I am my school’s guardian of love.