Chapter Nine: Love at First Sight

I try to focus on the movie but my mind is still stuck in the past. Tears stream down my cheeks and I wipe them away with the sleeve of my sweater.

I hear a soft knock at my door. Now is not the time. I wrap the granny-square afghan that lay on the back of my couch around my head and try to ignore it.

A minute or so passes and they knock again. Ugh.

I lay my mother's urn on the coffee table and make my way to the door, dragging the afghan behind me.

"Who is it?" I shout through the door.

"I'd like to talk to you about our lord and savior Jesus christ."

I know that voice. I open the door, it's Damon.

"You know, some people find jokes like that offensive." I chuckle.

"I think it's funny."  He looks me up and down. "You look rough."

"Thanks." I smile sarcastically. "I was wallowing in my own self-pity."

"Yeah, about that..." He reaches behind his back, pulling out a large bouquet of orange calla lilies.

"I'm really sorry for yelling at you the other day. I had really hoped the day would have went better." He holds the bouquet toward me and I take it, running my fingers along the flowers petals.

"I saw them at the flower shop on the way over and thought about you." He grinned. "The color reminded me of your beautiful hair."

"So... can you forgive me?" He put his palms together, pleading.

"I suppose so." I smile. "I'm going to put these in some water."

I walk toward the kitchen, leaving the door open for him but he doesn't follow.

"What's the matter?" I ask.

"I can't come in." He stands at the threshold of my door.

"Why not?" I look at him, confused.

"Vampires can't enter a person's home unless they are invited in."

"Your bullshitting me." I laugh.

"I'm serious!" He tries to walk in, but is pushed back as if there were an invisible wall. "Invite me in."

"Alright..." I grin. "Damon, would you please come in?"

He bows slightly, finally entering the door and closing it behind him.

I grab a vase from the kitchen cupboard and fill it with water.

"So, can you like... uninvite people?" I ask as I unwrap the lilies and place them in the vase.

"Yes, you can." Damon answers as he examines my belongings.

I'll keep that in mind.

"I haven't seen one of these in a minute." He picks at the old transistor radio that sat on my countertop.

"So, how old are you anyway?"

"178." He replies non-chalantly.

Wow, that is so amazing. I think for a moment and burst into laughter.

"What's so funny?"

"I just pictured you trying to rock a mullet." I giggle.

"Trying? Oh baby I did." He winks at me and I almost bust a gut.

I wonder if there are any pictures floating around? I would pay good money to see that.

I feel a lot better now.