Chapter 14: I Love You

Song: "My Blood" by Ellie Goulding

******

James turned and moved away from me, and I began to furiously rub at my face. The hell was that for? I cleared my throat and managed to mutter a small, "Thanks."

"Don't mention it. You saved me back there, so I might as well return the favor," he says over his shoulder as I follow after him.

"So where are we going?" I asked as I caught up to him, shrugging my jacket back on.

"This way," he says blandly and stops at the edge of a roof, then backs up, and takes a running start and jumps, landing across the way on another rooftop. I flicked my wings back out through the slits in my tops and flew across.

He looks at me. "You know you're gonna get spotted easier that way." He then turns and begins to jog. "Just jump. You'll make it fine."

I ground my teeth, then looked at the distance and how he jumped it with ease. I couldn't hear any more gun shots behind us, but that didn't mean they weren't still following us. He looked back at me on the other side, and I clenched my fists, then took a running jump and leapt for the other roof.

I landed on the ledge, suddenly feeling my balance go off and I yelped, but he grabbed my arm, pulling me onto the roof and into his chest.

I gasped and shoved away from him. "You sure like getting up close and personal," I shot over my shoulder as I turned to continue along my brisk walk. "I have a man already- your childhood bestie, I should remind you."

He joined my side, a smirk on his face. I looked at him sideways and said, "Oh, so you can smile."

This prompted him to scowl at me as he asked, "Do you ever stop talking?"

I shrugged. "No."

He sighed heavily.

"Hey. You wanted me to come along. And-" I broke off as I sensed something wrong and tackled him off to the side and behind a transformer as a bullet bounced off the metal casing.

I looked down to realize I was on top of him and went to get off, but he yanked me back down and then moved over me, pulling a hand gun from his belt. He ducked behind the transformer again as more bullets rang against the metal.

He went to get up, but I grabbed his sweatshirt and pulled him back down as a bullet nearly missed his head. He looked at me.

"Thanks."

"It's fine. Shoot at your eleven o'clock."

"How do you-"

"Just do it!"

He rolled his eyes and then rose up on one knee, aimed, and fired. The bullet struck home and more bullets sprayed against the back of the transformer, missing him as he ducked back to safety. I directed him where to fire until there was no one left. I closed my eyes and felt out with my powers, searching for more brain waves that would tell me where the next enemy was.

Satisfied there was no one else nearby, I met his eyes. "They're gone."

He cautiously peered around the corner, then stood. I stood with him. He looked at me curiously. "How'd you know where they were?"

"I can read minds," I said and got up, dusting my hands on my jeans. "I trained to use it to find people I can't see."

He slowly got to his feet, still holding onto the gun in his right hand as he offered me his left. I took it and he pulled me to my feet. "Those must be the powers you mentioned, then. That must come in handy."