15

Avalon Heights

"Wait." I stop him from entering my apartment.

Something feels severely off. Like something or someone has been in my place. After the little shootout we were just in anything is possible. In the moment I barely had any time to rationalize what was happening but now even more I am sure that Alessandro and his family are part of something criminal. If overhearing the conversation with their father didn't make it clear the shootout did. Then again the shootout could have been specifically for me. Another reason why I'm being completely cautious in entering my place right now.

"Avalon I'll tell you everything once we're in but-" My hand covers his mouth shutting him up. Men.

Kicking the door in I pull out my gun but keep my eye focused on the space ahead of me. Alessandro follows my lead pulling out one of his guns and surveying the upstairs. "It's clear." He says coming down the stairs. "But there is a note."

Running to my bedroom I find exactly what he said I would. A note laid on my bed with burned dahlias on top. I know my father is the one who has had this done. He's the only one who would go through so much trouble to contact me while actively shattering my psyche. Fumbling, I pick up the letter reading the inked words.

Dear Avalon,

Hello my little one. It's been a long time coming has it not? Come back home, I need you. I know this life has been nice to you but I know who you are on the inside. I know the things you've done and more importantly how you enjoyed them, do not pretend the opposite either. My baby come home one last time. I promise it will be worthwhile.

- Yours Truly

No. The monster in the closet that I desperately tried to hide away is back again rearing its ugly head. The letter makes it seem like a fucking option but he and I both know it's not. It's either to be done or I would face consequences that would put me in an even worse position. He says one last time but I don't believe it, not even for a second. Leaving the first time would ensue a punishment from him already.

I jump at a hand touching my shoulder. "Sweetheart?" Tears fall at the endearment. I'm anything but sweet as the letter says I've done things. Tricked, lied, stole, killed. Whatever was required of me to get the job done I had done it, most times with some sort of enjoyment too. Did I always feel bad at hurting others who I felt deserved it? No, which means that there's probably something wrong with me too. "Ava." I rip the note apart while letting my tears stain the ink on the paper. "Tell me, what's wrong."

"My father is coming for me and there's nothing anyone can do about it." The burned dahlias I throw from the window wishing it would solve all my problems.

"Maybe I can help." Gently he wraps his arms around me. His head lays on my shoulder bringing comfort to every inch of my entirety. Rough hands bring me the softest and most tender feelings. When he holds me I feel raw for him. Open and completely exposed. "Talk to me."

If only he knew it isn't that easy. Delving into my past isn't something I want to do. Especially not with him. Seeing me as he does now would change. Bringing my sordid past into our relationship is something I tried to avoid at any and all costs. If he knew who I was, how would that change us? I just got him back and the fear of losing him scales my insides.

"My father and mother divorced, I've told you that." He nods while rubbing soothing circles on my stomach. "What I didn't tell you is that they divorced because my father became part of a small local gang. My mother hated it and it put us in dangerous situations, eventually he worked his way up." I take a breath before continuing. "By the time I was eleven my father had somehow pissed off his gang while simultaneously entering wealthier circles. Those of politicians and officials. When I was twelve he had decided he would create his own agency of women who would work in femme fatale, espionage, and assassinatry. My mother had had enough and wanted to be rid of him, but he threatened me and Nalani." Alessandro squeezes my shoulder in support. "From the age of twelve he had me training to become a part of his agency when I turned eighteen. Even sending me to Lady Blue Academy. At twenty-three on my first solo mission I escaped from it all landing here. But now he wants me back." Tears threatened to spill but his arms around me kept them at bay.