Chapter 2

Chapter 2 – Victim of a Terrible Disease

Ileana’s P.O.V

The only time I get away from that brute is at school. He sends me to school thinking if I’m educated I wouldn’t be a burden on him for life time. Not that I wanna be one.

At school, story was a lot similar. Girl bullies bullied me for being so skinny. Little do they know that I haven’t eaten anything that I like in the past twelve years. Boys just spank me and say, “You gotta eat more to have a squishy butt!” I am left with no other option other than crying to myself.

A person to say that I trust is Pianca, my bestie. We don’t get along well because we’ve the same plight but then together it makes us feel better that we are not the only ones facing the brutality. Pianca lives with her alcoholic mom, so all that she has to handle are the new-new men her mom invites in, every night.

Like always, she was standing near her locker, which is next to mine. Any boy would say that she is nubile. Unlike me. Her way of not reckoning about her plight is living in a notional world. That world consists of people like Zayn Malik, Harry Styles, Niall Horan, Louis Tomlinson and Liam Payne. They are band members, she says. The pain, the scars, torture and sorrows just don’t give me anytime for music.

As I walk through the hallway, all I see are posters which Pia and I made on the topic, “Abuse- PHYSICAL, MENTAL AND SEXUAL”. Our ideas were well known in the school for its novelty. In fact, who could explain it better than us?

“I spat blood today as well. But today, it was a lot more than usual.,” I say.

“Don’t you think you should consult a Doc?”

“I really want to.”

“Oh! I understand. That warp Gary must be the one not letting you go, isn’t it?”

“It’s not that he won’t let me. He can’t pay for it.”

“Well, I know a Doc who can treat you for free. She is my neighbor. We’ll go?”

“Bunk school? No way!”

“Shut up, nerd! Now you’re comin’ with me!”

**At the Hospital**

“The X-ray reports have come. You cough up blood, sweat at night and have weakness because you……you have T.B.” the doctor sternly lets me know about my disease.

“You mean tuberculosis?” I ask. She nods in agreement.

Pianca’s eyes widen in shock. But for some reason, I was glad about it. I knew, everything was finally going to get over. I sigh.

Pianca bangs the door open and runs out. I show my gratitude to the Doc just through a smile. I then run to find Pia. She was sitting in the front lawn of the hospital with an angry face.

“What’s wrong?,” I ask.

“What’s wrong? Everything! It’s just not fair. Why is it always you? You are the one with bruises, you were the one molested by a group of men and now, you are the victim of a goddamn disease? It’s just not done, Illy!”

“Pia, there are two kinds of people on earth. The victims and the ones who victimize. By fate, I fall under the victims group. “, I explain. At this point, I really don’t know whom I was consoling. Was it Pianca or was I consoling myself?